04/27/21, 07:50 AM   #1
Khayeel
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking Updated an addon. How do I upload it?

So I got Pollox's Daily Quest Tracker with DarkPhalanx's patch but it was still outdated so I updated it to match the current state of the game. Just the undaunted pledges part though. I doubt the other quests that this tracks needs updating but seeing as every new chapter adds another daily quest, maybe so.

Anyone else using this addon that want certain parts of it updated or added? could be a good way for me to learn this as we go.

As for uploading my edits, I am guessing I only need to upload the updated files in their correct directories and not the entire addon as a patch?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...62/unknown.png
04/27/21, 08:58 AM   #2
ShadowMau
Someone has already posed an update for that Addon (https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...er-Update.html). No sense in re-inventing the wheel. Usually I attempt to contact the original author to see if they are going to update it. If I don't hear from them in a couple weeks, then I will double-check there is not been a different release by someone who has taken over the project.

I had one addon where I made some fixes (Removed libstub and a few other minor error fixes), but then the addon author returned several weeks later and updated the original. So I took my fixes back down (blanked it out and labeled it as discontinued and pointed them back to the original).

I learn a lot by just looking over other people's addons to see how they work, which API functions they use, etc. I find it is usually the best way to learn. I have a few "simple" addons that are just learning projects that I have shared, so if you are looking for some very basic pointers, those may help. Search for the word "simple" and you will see a lot of different examples to study.

If you want to take over an abandoned addon, contact the administrators and ask to be added to the development team for the addon in question. I recently did that for ScrollListExample.

Edit: I see you were referencing the update I linked. Sorry. I think someone has recently released a pledge rotation library, so maybe DarkPhalanx will link that in when they do the next update. I suspect that some addon authors only check on their addons when major api changes happen, so there may be a wait.

Last edited by ShadowMau : 04/27/21 at 09:05 AM.
04/27/21, 11:36 AM   #3
Khayeel
A pledge rotation library. Nice! Guess I'll just use this minor modification for personal use for now. It just bugged me that it wasn't showing the correct dlc dungeon for the pledges.
04/27/21, 12:38 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

If you are referring to UndauntedDaily that's already quite old, but I only added api functions last year. Guess that can count as recently in a sense.
04/27/21, 06:25 PM   #5
ShadowMau
Yeah, Undaunted Daily was what I was thinking about. I guess it has not been updated since March 9th 2021. Lol. I saw what it can do and it seemed like it would be a nice library to query for pledge info with the newly added functions, but I admit I just noticed it in passing.

I was doing some quick looking and it seems like for most of the pledge addons, they just have a table inside the addon which works, but after a while having the same basic info repeated and updated in some addons and not in others is a major pain.

Are you thinking that UndauntedDaily will become a go-to library for daily pledge info? One little library updated and everyone (who is linked in) has up-to-date pledge rotations!!!! I would be happy with it just telling me the correct three pledges.
04/27/21, 07:47 PM   #6
Khayeel
Yeah, I think they count as being hard-coded. Maybe something that keeps track of new completed pledges, then automatically adding them to the rotation would work without any need for update.

If completed quest name has "Pledge: " as a substring && doesn't match a known already pledge, then add/modify the rotation array at a location we're allowed to store value during runtime then maybe apply it to the actual source at game exit or something.
04/28/21, 03:56 AM   #7
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by ShadowMau View Post
I guess it has not been updated since March 9th 2021. Lol.
It only needs to be updated once per dungeon DLC.

Originally Posted by ShadowMau View Post
Are you thinking that UndauntedDaily will become a go-to library for daily pledge info? One little library updated and everyone (who is linked in) has up-to-date pledge rotations!!!! I would be happy with it just telling me the correct three pledges.
Of course I'd be happy if others used it, but I can't force anyone. XD

Originally Posted by Khayeel View Post
Yeah, I think they count as being hard-coded. Maybe something that keeps track of new completed pledges, then automatically adding them to the rotation would work without any need for update.

If completed quest name has "Pledge: " as a substring && doesn't match a known already pledge, then add/modify the rotation array at a location we're allowed to store value during runtime then maybe apply it to the actual source at game exit or something.
I thought about that approach, but it has too many drawbacks and is way more complicated to implement than what I currently have. Easier to just run a slash command once per dungeon DLC, copy the output, change a number and then check if everything still lines up.
04/28/21, 05:01 AM   #8
Khayeel
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I thought about that approach, but it has too many drawbacks and is way more complicated to implement than what I currently have. Easier to just run a slash command once per dungeon DLC, copy the output, change a number and then check if everything still lines up.
I don't know what the drawbacks would be but yeah, it's a heck of a machination in exchange for something as little as updating once every year.
04/28/21, 12:44 PM   #9
sirinsidiator

The biggest problem would be that it can take weeks for new users of the addon to detect the correct dlc pledge cycle automatically. You have to keep in mind that it would not be just 2 dungeons that are missing from the cycle, but eventually dozens of them.
During that time they would have to visit the npc that hands out the pledge quest every single day and the addon would be effectively useless, since it won't be able to show the correct pledge cycle until the full cycle has been detected.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Updated an addon. How do I upload it?