11/24/23, 12:44 AM   #1
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unofficial Translation Teams and Packaged Mods

There are several unofficial translations such as Portugese, Italian, Korean, Polish, Ukrainian, and Turkish. I frequently download the mod packages so I can update translations for my mods if a translation has been provided. Some mods like QuestMap and Lorebooks need the updates after a new Chapter or DLC.

I am a supporter of the unofficial translations and have helped a few people started that wish to make an unofficial translation. For example Turkish and Ukranian which would not be possible without the tool from UESP by Dave Humphrey. I do have a Python program that does some additional processing. I maintain the Korean translation ESOKR and there is a team of people that provide the translations.

The problem is that some unofficial translations provide some mods with an installer either a zip or an exe to make it easier on users to install the language. Since users that are looking for the unofficial translation don't speak English I can understand it would be hard to navigate the ESOUI site. The issue with doing that is that these mods are usually outdated. Sometimes I see there are localized strings files provided or hard coded strings are translated.

Regardless teams can't simply upload mods like this to their own site for their unofficial translation (not hosted on ESOUI) with a complete disregard for the author and their wishes. Some authors give permission to make translations. For those that don't they expect the translation to be provided so they can add it to their mod.

Please stop doing this and communicate with the authors. Some of my mods support 8 or more languages. I am always happy to add other translations and I am sure other authors are willing to add the translations even if there is a bit of work involved on the part of the translator.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 11/24/23 at 12:53 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Translation Help » Unofficial Translation Teams and Packaged Mods