08/02/14, 01:31 AM   #1
Teppotastic
Unhappy [BUG] Problems since 31/07 patch

Since the latest patch, I can't seem to get Minion to fully load. It keeps getting stuck on "Fetching Global Configuration". I have tried removing the .xml and even uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. When I reinstalled, if I decided to Update Later, I instead got stuck on "Initializing Window controls". Exiting out and then updating gets me back to the original error.

Attached are the xml, log and a screenshot of the problem.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minion_problem.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	375  
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (595 Bytes, 485 views)
File Type: log minion0.log (6.5 KB, 447 views)
08/02/14, 09:57 AM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Does it work for you now? Wondering if there was a network error where it couldn't fully read from our API around 2:30 - 3am last night?

Specially when you rolled back to the previous version and it still errored out it makes me think there was some network trouble maybe on our end or peering issues at that time?

Please try now. Also remember when you delete your minion.xml Minion has to re-scan all your hard drives to find the games again. So that takes a little longer, but once it finds the games the next load times will be normal. If you delete your minion.xml and after 10min Minion still doesn't want to load please upload your new minion0.log before you do anything else. Thanks.

I'm not seeing any errors in your logs but every time you exit minion and start over it re-writes the error log file. I do see in the log that Minion is closed before game detection is started.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 10:04 AM.
08/02/14, 10:11 AM   #3
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Looking closer at the logs it took over a minute for Minion to ping our API to see if it could access it. This should only a second or two. So this makes me think there was some network trouble last night where maybe international traffic to our API was effected by very slow connections? So I'm hoping things work for you now.
08/02/14, 10:41 AM   #4
Teppotastic
Thanks for getting back to me, I killed the .xml again and I'm letting it take it's time Loading. Still on "Fetching Global Configuration" - is this when it's searching for games? If so, it does have a couple of TB to get through. I'll leave it for 30mins and post back here.

While that's going on, you mentioned some possible network issues - If you've got an endpoint I can ping and run tracert, hopefully I can rule that out?
08/02/14, 10:54 AM   #5
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sent you a PM with the endpoint. Minion is multi-threaded so it could be stuck on something not even shown yet on the loading status. If it was an error it should be logged in the minion0.log but if its a slow network connection Minion may just sit there until it can load what it wants from the api never logging an error and blocking everything else from loading.

Minion only searches at a max of 4 folders deep. ESO should be quicker because it searches for a folder pattern, wow takes a little longer because it searches for wow.exe.

When you delete your minion.xml and restart Minion are you getting the prompt asking if you would like Minion to search for World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls Online? If not then something is holding up game detection for sure.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 10:59 AM.
08/02/14, 10:58 AM   #6
Teppotastic
Actually...No, not at all. I get the EULA-thingy, the login prompt and then it gets stuck on Loading.

I left it on "Fetching" for 30mins but to no avail. What's next? :/
08/02/14, 11:00 AM   #7
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Then yeah its certainly getting suck in loading our API. The logs show that Minion is getting a status 200 from our end points, it also shows it can download the font Minion uses. I just see that its taking a minute for that to happen when it should only take a few seconds.

Minion has about 1mb of json data (gzip compressed) to download when you start.

I sent you a private message with a URL. Are you able to load that URL and get a bunch of json in return?

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 11:06 AM.
08/02/14, 11:06 AM   #8
Teppotastic
I certainly can, and a nice little json it is too
08/02/14, 11:10 AM   #9
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Are you using any kind of internet accelerator applications or browser plugins?

Going to send you one more link to try, this will be about 400k of json (3.4mb uncompressed). Let me know how long it takes to load.
08/02/14, 11:13 AM   #10
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Do you happen to have the java 7 jdk installed? If so you can run Minion from a terminal window and it should output every little step it takes.

Java -jar C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
08/02/14, 11:37 AM   #11
Teppotastic
Okay, I can't get that second json at all. It eventually returns ERR_TIME_OUT.

As for JDK. I didn't, but I went and got it and give it a shot. It returned:
"Error: could not open 'C:\Windows\jre\lib\amd64\jvm.cfg'

Which makes it look like something could be up with my java install. I'm also pretty sure that's not where it should be looking for the JRE in Win 7 - last I checked that should all be under Program Files. Infact, deleting the 'jre' folder in C:\Windows fixed that particular problem. Attached is the .txt output from running the command, complete with my KB interrupt at the end. For reference, when it's stuck it's sitting on the "FINE: Version: 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT" line.

As for browser plug-ins.... I run Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125 m with a couple of extensions. Namely: LastPass, AdBlock and ZenMate. I have re-tried everything with all extensions disabled and in incognito mode, just in case - but all things report the same.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cmd_output.txt (2.7 KB, 412 views)
08/02/14, 11:38 AM   #12
Teppotastic
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Do you happen to have the java 7 jdk installed? If so you can run Minion from a terminal window and it should output every little step it takes.

Java -jar C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
For future reference, if we end up with a solution and someone is working through this. adding "2> C:\cmd_output.txt" to the end of that command will throw it all to a txt file instead of to the cmd line via the ERR channel. Much easier to share that way
08/02/14, 11:49 AM   #13
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I had to go out and run some errands. I'll be back in a few hour. If you can't fully load the 2nd endpoint that is the problem. I'm guessing the request is taking too long for you and our server is killing the connection. When I get back I'll increase the timeout.
08/02/14, 11:53 AM   #14
Teppotastic
No worries. I really appreciate your help - enjoy your errands!

Last edited by Teppotastic : 08/02/14 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typos
08/02/14, 02:39 PM   #15
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ok, I'm back and doubled the timeout in apache for our api server. Try loading that 2nd endpoint again and see if it times out for you still.

Thanks for your help

I really need to get this on our CDN however our CDN provider is having trouble with ssl certs at the moment. Eventually we will get it there and then that way Minion is talking to a CDN near you instead of where our datacenter.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 02:42 PM.
08/02/14, 02:42 PM   #16
Teppotastic
Welcome Back! So that second link loaded instantly this time. Progress!

Minion still stuck on "Fetching Global Configuration".
08/02/14, 02:42 PM   #17
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Teppotastic View Post
Welcome Back! So that second link loaded instantly this time. Progress!

Minion still stuck on "Fetching Global Configuration".
Try deleting your minion.xml again and restart minion.

Another thought, are you logged in? Try not logging into Minion. Choose Guest.
08/02/14, 02:56 PM   #18
Teppotastic
I was logging in, you're right. Tried guest and there's no change.
Just noticed how the Status messages update though - is it the bottom command that's the most recent, not the top?
08/02/14, 03:00 PM   #19
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not always, since Minion is running many commands at the same time not in a row its difficult to tell what is first.

Can you copy and paste the buildid you see in the lower left corner of the Minion window? Does it still end with 25c like in the screen shot?
08/02/14, 03:03 PM   #20
Teppotastic
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Can you copy and paste the buildid you see in the lower left corner of the Minion window? Does it still end with 25c like in the screen shot?
Sadly not, but I will type it out: 999077ca0e1e1b36059d4ad80cfa33ca2fef525c (and I double-checked it too), same build all the way through today, after the first post

EDIT:: It has occurred to me, I don't think I had WoW installed (and it's associated AddOns), last time I updated the Minion client (but I can't be 100% sure). I don't use Minion for managing WoW and had told it so previously. I do use the Curse client for that purpose. I uninstalled Curse before trying it as Guest, but to no avail.

Last edited by Teppotastic : 08/02/14 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Additional Information

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » [BUG] Problems since 31/07 patch