Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
01/22/15, 02:44 PM   #14
Randactyl
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by katkat42 View Post
My guess is, as time goes on, this will be the route by which pay-to-win sneaks into the game. They won't sell the best gear, but the best gear will only drop in DLC zones. Which you'll have to pay to access, one way or another.
I would argue this is just a different way of skinning the same cat. Using the same parameters it could be said that the traditional subscription model is pay to win in the first place since you are having to pay extra to play (and win) the game you have already bought.

I don't think this sentiment is often expressed because one, it is a decades old practice, and two, someone is probably more likely to go along with something if they don't feel they have a choice.

Switching to a buy to play model with optional subscription introduces another choice and causes customers to make a more complicated decision. Some will feel no sub is better for them, while other feel a sub is better and others still may be torn between the two unable to make a decision. And in the current culture of the internet where every poster is right and all others are literally Hitler, this creates unnecessary contention.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » ESO going B2P model, 17 March subscription gone