Quantcast
Chat System - ESOUI
Thread Tools Display Modes
03/04/21, 01:34 AM   #1
slimwaffle
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Chat System

What's the deal with the chat system in eso?
I'm working on an addon that acts as a target caller for group content. Similar idea to how wow lets you mark targets. But instead of a whole complicated thing just printing to chat -Current Target is "name"
This thing is pretty much finished. Except instead of using d() to system print.
I would like to have the targets name print to group chat.
But for some reason I can't find anything that lets me type to chat.
I can put text into chat. But the keyboard still needs to hit enter manually.
Is there a way I can auto type to chat?
  Reply With Quote
03/04/21, 06:15 AM   #2
sirinsidiator
 
sirinsidiator's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,490
There is no way to do what you want. It's by design that an addon cannot automate sending messages to chat. Check this page on the wiki for details.
__________________
https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
>siri.exe MyAddon
Does your addon work? [y/n] n
There is a typo in there.
  Reply With Quote
03/04/21, 01:52 PM   #3
andy.s
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
If the addon prints target name automatically based on some condition, then you can just have everyone install it. If you are raid leading and want to use hotkeys to call targets, then your best option is to share this data via map ping, but don't ask me how, or I'll need to disable yet another map pinger in Hodor Reflexes (it also requires everyone else to have your addon anyway).
  Reply With Quote
03/04/21, 05:25 PM   #4
slimwaffle
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
There is no way to do what you want. It's by design that an addon cannot automate sending messages to chat. Check this page on the wiki for details.
Yeah this is what I figured. Such an interesting company to deal with.
Super strict on the guys making it easier for people to play the game legit.
But do nothing to stop the real cheaters and exploiters.

And no the idea was creating something super light weight. That didn't need to communicate with other instances of itself. I even considered the spamming chat thing and added conditions saying it would only work if you were instanced and the group leader.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 04:28 AM   #5
sirinsidiator
 
sirinsidiator's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
Yeah this is what I figured. Such an interesting company to deal with.
Super strict on the guys making it easier for people to play the game legit.
But do nothing to stop the real cheaters and exploiters.
I disagree completely with that. If they didn't do anything about cheaters and exploiters, the game would look completely different. They just don't make a big deal out of it when they remove them.
And super strict? Just because the one api you wanted to use is not open?
If you think about it, it should be pretty obvious why it's a bad idea to allow addons to send chat messages. How long do you think it would take for the first spam addons to show up after they open that api for everyone? How long until some addon trivializes combat mechanics in dungeons and trials? It may be true that some things can be used for making live easier for players, but when they can be abused to undermine the integrity of the game it should be obvious why they have to stay closed.

Also take a look around and read some of the posts. They open up apis so addon authors can use them and even add new ones based on community requests all the time. Show me one other game company of this size that works as closely with addon authors as ZOS?
__________________
https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
>siri.exe MyAddon
Does your addon work? [y/n] n
There is a typo in there.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 05:13 AM   #6
slimwaffle
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
And super strict? Just because the one api you wanted to use is not open?
Pretty rude assumption mate. There is a lot of locked stuff.

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
If you think about it, it should be pretty obvious why it's a bad idea to allow addons to send chat messages. How long do you think it would take for the first spam addons to show up after they open that api for everyone?
I simply don't see it the same way. Any system can be abused. Doesn't mean you should remove the functionality.Just punish the offenders. I mean it would be easier to limit the number of posts by a person to certain channels within an allotted time.

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
How long until some addon trivializes combat mechanics in dungeons and trials? It may be true that some things can be used for making live easier for players, but when they can be abused to undermine the integrity of the game it should be obvious why they have to stay closed.
People already have ways of doing this and don't need addons. You see bots all the time. And in pvp you see people using macros to animation cancel and cast entire rotations at break neck speed. An addon won't damage it any further.

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Also take a look around and read some of the posts. They open up apis so addon authors can use them and even add new ones based on community requests all the time. Show me one other game company of this size that works as closely with addon authors as ZOS?
Granted I haven't been around the modding scene for this game long enough to notice. However that is kind of funny because I messaged them. Asking about querying the server time. They looked at the message and then ignored it without even acknowledging the question. But I imagine they would ignore any request to query the server.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 06:21 AM   #7
sirinsidiator
 
sirinsidiator's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
Pretty rude assumption mate. There is a lot of locked stuff.
Write rude things and you get rude answers. Simple as that. If you don't like to get answers like that, maybe you should have phrased your previous post differently? Because writing uninformed opinionated stuff will never lead to any fruitful discussion.

Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
I simply don't see it the same way. Any system can be abused. Doesn't mean you should remove the functionality.Just punish the offenders. I mean it would be easier to limit the number of posts by a person to certain channels within an allotted time.
How would they punish an offender? Ask to get the addon removed from esoui? How would that stop it from being used? And how would that prevent the mentioned scenario of undermining game mechanics? Also what makes you think it would be easier to implement such a rate limitation system over setting an already existing flag on a function?

Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
People already have ways of doing this and don't need addons. You see bots all the time. And in pvp you see people using macros to animation cancel and cast entire rotations at break neck speed. An addon won't damage it any further.
Just because some people know how to pick locks is a reason to open your front door so everyone can just waltz in and dance on your kitchen table?

Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
Granted I haven't been around the modding scene for this game long enough to notice. However that is kind of funny because I messaged them. Asking about querying the server time. They looked at the message and then ignored it without even acknowledging the question. But I imagine they would ignore any request to query the server.
What would you do when some random guy on the internet you never have heard of suddenly messaged you in private and asked you to add a function to access some internals of the project you work on? The answer should be pretty obvious. That aside there is a place to request such things.
__________________
https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
>siri.exe MyAddon
Does your addon work? [y/n] n
There is a typo in there.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 06:34 AM   #8
slimwaffle
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
I mean thank you for the link to the proper channel to request stuff.
You are way too closed off to ideas that oppose your own thoughts.
Your arguments are gravitating towards the illogical.
This discussion will go no where with only you and I as a part of it.

Last edited by slimwaffle : 03/05/21 at 06:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 06:59 AM   #9
Sordrak
 
Sordrak's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
I mean thank you for the link to the proper channel to request stuff.
You are way too closed off to ideas that oppose your own thoughts.
Your arguments are gravitating towards the illogical.
This discussion will go no where with only you and I as a part of it.
Well then, if you need more people to be added to the discussion i will join in mate. No problem.

sirinsidiator is right. Deal with it.

His arguments aren't illogical. Not at all.

While i personally would like a few things changed myself, i absolutely see why ZOS has the restrictions in place and their judgment is likely correct here. This has nothing to do with being closed off to new ideas. It is more like you have no clue about how things work and lack the capability to see the big picture here.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 10:12 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator
 
Baertram's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,749
This discussion will go no where with only you and I as a part of it.
Here you go: I don't want to be rude but I somehow get the impression you are pissed that your possible addon cannot work the way as you've intended and blame the devs of the game now.
And in your further anger you even rant against the ones that want to help/spread information, you have asked for (afterwards).
You just do not like the answer(s) and try to find reasons why this is crap/the devs do not support you/the system is abusable and should be abused then "but for your purpose!!!", whatever

It happens, and I don't want to judge. But I think Sordrak is correct here with the "big picture".

Originally Posted by slimwaffle View Post
Your arguments are gravitating towards the illogical.
If I'm wrong I could also ask for examples for this statement please?
I don't see where there is anything illogically mentioned.
  Reply With Quote
03/05/21, 10:18 AM   #11
Sharlikran
 
Sharlikran's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 304
I agree with the two previous comments. Nobody is trying to judge your intentions and you can't judge why ZOS chooses to restrict something.

We all understand that you have legitimate intentions and would like to be an honest mod author and that you have honest intentions.

Unfortunately there are plenty of people out there that don't and because of that things have to be restricted.

So going forward like with your current Thread about the red circle, if you can think of a way that it could be exploited even though you think people shouldn't assume that, especially if it could be exploited in PvP to know when something is happening to you the player, then most likely it's not available.
__________________
Admin for TES5Edit, occasional LOOT masterlist contributor, and Wrye Bash contributor. I also maintain special Fallout 3 and Fallout NV versions of Wrye Flash.
  Reply With Quote

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Chat System

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off