05/18/14, 06:00 PM   #1
Zebular
[BUG-ESO] Minion doesn't always extract the .zip download.

ESO - Sometimes when updating my addons through Minion, instead of updating the addon, it leaves behind a .zip file in the Addons folder that bears the addon's name and version. I've gotten in the habit of opening my Addon's folder and looking prior to launching the game for when this happens, ESO doesn't recognize the addon that's still extracted. I have to delete the addon and the .zip, load Minion again and re-Update the addon.

I couldn't find my minion .log and .xml you requested in the sticky, I have no such folder there for .minion. I am on Windows 8.1, 64bit.

Edit: FOUND IT! Look at post #9!

Last edited by Zebular : 05/20/14 at 10:04 PM.
05/19/14, 09:52 AM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
There are a few people that do not have the .minion folder where it should be. Could you check the root of your C: drive for one?

We are looking into why the .minion folder for some is put in different and strange locations. If you have a system where your user folder is on a different drive check there too.

As for the zip not always unzipping usually that indicates a permission error. Were you loading ESO at the time? Was your virus scanner scanning your addon folder at the time? Are the windows security permissions set weird on that perticular addon folder?
05/20/14, 10:50 AM   #3
Tonyleila

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have the same problem since 2 days. I did not change anything Minion was working fine before. First it did not stop downloading it just loaded forever. I closed it and removed zip files. Ever since then Minion dosen't unzip some of the addons
05/20/14, 11:53 AM   #4
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Have the same problem since 2 days. I did not change anything Minion was working fine before. First it did not stop downloading it just loaded forever. I closed it and removed zip files. Ever since then Minion dosen't unzip some of the addons
If you have the same problem can you post your minion.xml and minion0.log. That should help me determine the cause.

http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236
05/20/14, 08:20 PM   #5
Zebular
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
There are a few people that do not have the .minion folder where it should be. Could you check the root of your C: drive for one?

We are looking into why the .minion folder for some is put in different and strange locations. If you have a system where your user folder is on a different drive check there too.
Heya, thanks for the response!

I did a ton of searches (indexed and non-indexed, files names and such) all over, I even started searching individual folder locations just in case. I searched for (each their own search) ".minion" / .minion / "minion" / minion - and the only results were the files in the install location and the shortcuts in the /User/ directory. I only have one hard drive, so it's not that.

Just in case it was missed, I do have Windows 8.1 64-bit, fully updated.

Update: I just searched for minion0.log and minion.xml as well, with no results.

Not sure if it matters, but I did not install it in Program Files or Program Files (x86). I never install anything in there if I can help it. I have it installed into C:/CIOZ Apps/Minion/

As for the zip not always unzipping usually that indicates a permission error. Were you loading ESO at the time? Was your virus scanner scanning your addon folder at the time? Are the windows security permissions set weird on that perticular addon folder?
About this, nay I always run Minion prior to launching ESO before a play-session and if I want to go look for a mod, I close ESO completely (even the launcher) before I launch Minion. The permissions seem fine, I haven't messed with them at all and are set to full control for all users (even though I am the only User, which is the Administrator account). It happens rarely and sporadically and not just on the same mod, it's happened to four different mods so far but clears up when I manually delete the .zip and the addon folder that didn't exctract and then re-load minion and click update again.

Last edited by Zebular : 05/20/14 at 08:29 PM.
05/20/14, 08:43 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
If you go to the desktop and pull up your C: drive and then search like this (see attached) nothing shows up?

I'm guessing then some how the .minion folder is being saved in a hidden system folder where windows wont search. Minion won't work with out a minion.xml so its hiding somewhere.

We are rolling out an update have Minion delete the .minion folder on uninstall. Maybe we need to add a tool in the app to have it show you where its located too since its not being put where it should be on a few peoples systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	502
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	243  

Last edited by Dolby : 05/20/14 at 08:48 PM.
05/20/14, 09:01 PM   #7
Zebular
If you go to the desktop and pull up your C: drive and then search like this (see attached) nothing shows up?

I'm guessing then some how the .minion folder is being saved in a hidden system folder where windows wont search. Minion won't work with out a minion.xml, its not possible so its hiding somewhere.

We are rolling out an update have Minion delete the .minion folder on uninstall. Maybe we need to add a tool in the app to have it show you where its located too since its not being put where it should be on a few peoples systems.
Yep, I get no results. I have the folder options set to show system and hidden files. I also checked the Search Tools option to look in System folders.

I even took what you said about it not running without the .xml so I searched my registry for minion and could not find any registry entries for the .xml or the .log file. Was hoping that there'd be a registry entry that shows the location for the file but the only results were of my download of the install program, and the installation and uninstalltion registry values.

I'll see if I can find something to do a better search than windows's built in search. You're probably on to something about windows not searching everywhere though.
05/20/14, 09:08 PM   #8
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I'm going to talk to our java programmer tomorrow and see if we can have Minion display the path to the .minion folder under options for a little while to try and figure this out.
05/20/14, 09:22 PM   #9
Zebular
I still don't know why windows wouldn't find it but the search tool called "Everything" found it right away!

I may have a idea of why it didn't put it in /Users/ - I have my "Documents" library set to C:/CIOZ Files/ (a custom location) and that is where "Everything" found the .minion - so this must have played a part as to why it didn't put it in my username directory in /Users/ - not sure.

So, here are my files.

P.S. I noticed my email was located in the .xml so I removed it and re-uploaded it with that part edited out.
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (3.0 KB, 512 views)
File Type: log minion0.log (15.8 KB, 572 views)
File Type: log minion1.log (13.8 KB, 534 views)

Last edited by Zebular : 05/24/14 at 04:54 AM.
05/21/14, 07:20 AM   #10
Tonyleila

here is mine:

btw your mail is still in the first log file Zebular :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip minion.zip (600.2 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by Tonyleila : 05/21/14 at 07:26 AM.
05/24/14, 04:54 AM   #11
Zebular
Thanks!/10char
05/24/14, 06:37 AM   #12
Tonyleila

In the last days i have noticed that only "Vicster's InventoryInsight" will not unzip. The old folder just stays in there and the zip file too. Updated it about 3 times everytime same problem while all other addons coud be loaded.
05/24/14, 12:45 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Maybe it's permissions related, since he left the .git folder in there.
06/09/14, 09:30 PM   #14
Zebular
Nah, I've had this happen to almost every mod I use, at least once. It's really not that major of an issue for me however as I've gotten in the routine of opening my bookmark for my addons folder to double check before I shut down Minion and launch the game patcher. When it happens, I move my savedvariables for that addon to a temp place, uninstall the addon through minion (and deleting the .zip that didn't extract), and then re-install it through Minion. So far, I have not have it happen more than once in a single instance of using Minion. It seems like it happens once about every other day or so (that I play).

Not sure if it may be related, however since the last Minion Update, I have been getting a lot of updates and installations of addons that continue to show 100% complete until I start a new minion session, even though the addon that shows this left-over "100%" still installed correctly.
06/09/14, 11:51 PM   #15
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We have added a ton more logging to Minion in the last few patches to try and track this and other issues down. If you could please attach a new minion0.log when this happens it would be of great help. Also post what addon did not unzip at the time or was hung at 100%.

Thank you

Last edited by Dolby : 06/09/14 at 11:54 PM.
06/12/14, 07:33 PM   #16
Zebular
Sure thing!

I have noticed something that may be related though. Since my last post, I have been using the "Update All" button and have not had this problem happen. Perhaps the quick pressing of multiple "Update" buttons on individual addons is causing this?

Re-reading the thread, I notice I did fail to mention that I was updating each addon individually, never using the Update All button until a few days ago.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » [BUG-ESO] Minion doesn't always extract the .zip download.