06/22/14, 01:34 AM   #1
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Minion, Addon Programmers & how does it figure out version on disk?

There is one little thing I have been wondering about: How exactly does minion figure out the "version" of a addon that is on the disk?

As a programer I often edit the Addon directly in the Addon directory. And the last thing I would want is minion accidently detecting a change/update and trying to overwrite my sourcecode files on the disk.

It has not happened yet so I asume there is some code to prevent it around. I just would like to know how exactly the Version of the Addon on the disk is detected.
06/22/14, 04:12 AM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
It probably looks at the txt file version on your computer and compare it to the version specific on the addon page. If they are the same technically it shouldn't overwrite, especially if the date on your copy is later than the on the download page if it checks that as well.

If you are that worried, test it out by making a copy of your one and see if it overwrites your changes when

1. You leave the app's version as is
2. You change your copy to a slightly higher version to let minion know your's is more up-to-date.
06/22/14, 04:46 AM   #3
farangkao

You won't have to worry

Minion knows the Versiom number you gave on ESOUI.com ,as long you don't change that yourself,
Minion will not "detect" an Update.

When you install an Addon ,minion will "remember" the Version it installed, and will compare it with the data from esoui.com

Also as a precaution, i always update every addon by hand and not using the "Update all" functionallity.
Only this way i notice if something changed in other addons anyway
06/22/14, 05:49 AM   #4
Garkin

Just right click on the addon in Minion and choose "Igonre Updates".
06/22/14, 09:01 AM   #5
Randactyl
Minion remembers the latest version it downloaded for each addon. It doesn't check each addon's *.txt file in your Addons folder for the current installed version.

For example: if I work on my addon and increase the version number, place it in my addons folder, and then upload it to ESOUI, Minion will still "update" my addon even though the files it downloads are identical to the ones I already have.

I also work on my addon directly in ESO's addon directory, but haven't had any problems yet

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion, Addon Programmers & how does it figure out version on disk?