08/12/14, 10:28 AM   #1
ShabbyOne
Add Ons Not Appearing

I am having an issue with actually getting my add ons that I downloaded to appear. I've read through several forums and still think I have done this correctly. Can anyone help?

Here's my current path:

C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with Window 8. I unzipped the files and placed them into the Add On folder above. I've even deleted them and started over on it. I read somewhere that I had to delete the Add On Settings text file to trick the game into rebooting the Add Ons... Still no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
08/12/14, 10:56 AM   #2
Garkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
  • Do you play on NA or EU server? Your path is for NA server, if you play on EU server, correct path for addons is:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\AddOns
  • How did you unpack addons? They should be placed in subfolders, for example:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards\
    And inside of the SkyShards folder is:
    Code:
    Icons\
    Language\
    Libs\
    ReadMe.rtf
    SkyShards.lua
    SkyShards.txt
    SkyShardsData.lua
08/12/14, 03:48 PM   #3
zgrssd
Originally Posted by ShabbyOne View Post
I am having an issue with actually getting my add ons that I downloaded to appear. I've read through several forums and still think I have done this correctly. Can anyone help?

Here's my current path:

C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with Window 8. I unzipped the files and placed them into the Add On folder above. I've even deleted them and started over on it. I read somewhere that I had to delete the Add On Settings text file to trick the game into rebooting the Add Ons... Still no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If it is the right user, there is no Windows issue. Your documents folder/user profile is the least proteced/most accessible folder while you are logged in. As a programmer this is the only folder I can savely asume write and read right too.

You need to unzip the addosn without creating a subfolder (we usually compress the whoel folder), then copy that unpacked folder into the Addon Folder. That is the most common mistake when unzipping.

Also the folder name and the .txt file (manifest) must be named absolutely identical and must be free of spaces/special characters.

If you were usign unified chat tabs, the path would have to look:
"C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\UnifiedChatTabs"
with the .txt file having the following position:
"C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\UnifiedChatTabs\UnifiedChatTabs.txt"
08/13/14, 01:10 PM   #4
ShabbyOne
Originally Posted by Garkin View Post
  • Do you play on NA or EU server? Your path is for NA server, if you play on EU server, correct path for addons is:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\AddOns
  • How did you unpack addons? They should be placed in subfolders, for example:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards\
    And inside of the SkyShards folder is:
    Code:
    Icons\
    Language\
    Libs\
    ReadMe.rtf
    SkyShards.lua
    SkyShards.txt
    SkyShardsData.lua
I am on the American server. My Skyshards looks like this:

C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards-1.6.8

Icons\
Language\
Libs\
ReadMe.rtf
SkyShards.Iua
SkyShards.txt
SkyShardsData.Iua

I unpacked the zip files a few ways and nothing worked. First I created a folder on my desktop to move the zipped files into. I unzipped the files and copied them over to my AddOns folder. I tried doing the unzipping in my download folder and copied the files to AddOns. I've even moved the compressed files into the AddOns to and extracted there. I am still coming up with nothing.
08/13/14, 01:29 PM   #5
ShabbyOne
Originally Posted by zgrssd View Post
If it is the right user, there is no Windows issue. Your documents folder/user profile is the least proteced/most accessible folder while you are logged in. As a programmer this is the only folder I can savely asume write and read right too.

You need to unzip the addosn without creating a subfolder (we usually compress the whoel folder), then copy that unpacked folder into the Addon Folder. That is the most common mistake when unzipping.

Also the folder name and the .txt file (manifest) must be named absolutely identical and must be free of spaces/special characters.

If you were usign unified chat tabs, the path would have to look:
"C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\UnifiedChatTabs"
with the .txt file having the following position:
"C:\Users\Me\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\UnifiedChatTabs\UnifiedChatTabs.txt"
I am the only user on the PC, so it is the correct user. Going off the same example on my previous response, my SkyShards folder goes through my AddOns\SkyShards-1.6.8\SkyShards to where I can see a SkyShards.txt file that doesn't have any special characters.

I finally got it to work after I deleted the SkyShards-1.6.8 folder and replaced it with the SkyShards folder that was inside (simply copied the SkyShards unzipped folder from inside the SkyShards-1.6.8 folder and paste it inside the AddOn folder directly - for anyone with a similar issue. I then deleted the SkyShards-1.6.8). Not sure why it was creating the extra folder when I extracted. I was too focused on the beginning of the file path that I didn't catch the extra folder.

Thanks for all the help!!!
08/13/14, 06:49 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yep. Folder-in-folder syndrome, we call it.

Some extraction utilities create an extra folder named after the .zip file, just in case files are loose inside the .zip. Even the default Windows one does this. In Windows, if you right-click and choose "Extract All...", a window pops up asking you where you wish to extract to. But you don't want to extract to a new folder named after the .zip file, so you need to remove that last folder name from the path.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Add Ons Not Appearing