07/10/14, 10:20 AM   #1
EricBLivingston
"JavaFX Launcher Error" after latest update

After allowing Minion to update, stop and restart, I get that error, above. That's the dialog title, the text simply says "Exception while running Application" and has an Ok button.

I tried uninstalling and downloading/installing the latest version a minute ago, and I get identical behavior. I'm totally stopped.
07/10/14, 10:23 AM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi EricBLivingston,

When do you get this error? During the splash screen with the Minion logo? During the Loading... screen? Can I get a picture of it so I can show my java programmer?

Can you post your minion0.log? http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236

Thanks.

Last edited by Dolby : 07/10/14 at 10:26 AM.
07/10/14, 10:51 AM   #3
EricBLivingston
Screenshot

Well, this is the application not even starting. There is no .minion directory, even, so no log file to show. For some reason, Java can launch previous versions just fine, but this latest one can't even load up. I've attached the error dialog box - this is a java error, not a minion error, per se. Minion isn't even running when this occurs (that's the point, it can't even run it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minion Fail.png
Views:	1098
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	341  
07/10/14, 10:56 AM   #4
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the screen shot. I'll have to run this by our java programmer. This is the first time I've seen that error in a window like that.

I see you're running windows 7, is it 64bit or 32bit?

Also are you launching Minion with the icon it creates or are you launching it directly from the Minion-jfx.jar located under the app folder in the install directory?

Last edited by Dolby : 07/10/14 at 11:04 AM.
07/10/14, 03:33 PM   #5
EricBLivingston
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I was using the icon it creates
07/10/14, 03:39 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks, are you able to install the previous version and not update it. Does it still work?

Previous version: http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.9a-beta.exe

And if the previous version still works do you have a .minion folder?
07/10/14, 04:11 PM   #7
EricBLivingston
Results of 2.0.9a Install (Works)

Yes, the previous version you linked to, and installed, worked perfectly.

The first time I tried it, it asked to update, and I said yes. So then it shut down, updated, and tried to run again, and got that error I posted.

So, then I uninstalled it, and re-installed it (v 2.0.9a) and declined the update. It came up just fine, and I'm running it now.

The only other anomaly was that during the install, it tried to install MS VC++ 2010 libraries, but that didn't finish, as it said I have more updated versions on my PC already.

So, at least we know the problem relates to some change that was made between 2.0.9a and 2.0.10. That should narrow the search considerably.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion0.log (394.8 KB, 734 views)
07/10/14, 04:44 PM   #8
StrangerFull
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have the same problem and I can reproduce it. This error pops up when you run the program Minion and immediately switch to any other full-screen application. That is, you do not see the logo and the boot process - in this case, this error pops up. If you run Minion and do nothing, wait for it to start - no problem.
07/10/14, 04:55 PM   #9
EricBLivingston
Originally Posted by StrangerFull View Post
I have the same problem and I can reproduce it. This error pops up when you run the program Minion and immediately switch to any other full-screen application. That is, you do not see the logo and the boot process - in this case, this error pops up. If you run Minion and do nothing, wait for it to start - no problem.
That's interesting. In my case, the error is 100% regardless of my actions. Several times I clicked the icon to start it (or allowed 2.0.9a to close and update) and then didn't touch a thing - not the mouse or keyboard, was just waiting to see what happened - and it still gave the error.
07/10/14, 04:55 PM   #10
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thank you for the additional information information EricBLivingston.

StrangerFull thanks, I'll try this my self and see if I can reproduce it.
07/12/14, 06:09 AM   #11
EricBLivingston
Any News?

Hopefully there's been some progress, I'm still stuck on 2.0.9a
07/14/14, 04:49 PM   #12
EricBLivingston
Any news?

Would love to upgrade to the new version, but haven't heard back on this error yet.
07/14/14, 05:09 PM   #13
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Still haven't been able to reproduce it on our end. I have a ticket in for our java programmer to take a look.

Sorry, its just going to take some time.

Last edited by Dolby : 07/14/14 at 05:11 PM.
07/14/14, 05:50 PM   #14
Randactyl
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To get minion working again, I uninstalled all versions of JDK and JRE I had and reinstalled JDK/JRE 8u5.
Working perfectly now!
You only need to install JRE, unless you're doing Java programming of your own

(I had JDK/JRE 8u20 installed previously. Maybe there was a change?)
07/30/14, 09:20 PM   #15
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi EricBLivingston,

We have released an update to Minion that should address this issue. Please uninstall Minion and download 2.0.11-beta from http://minion.mmoui.com

I was finally able to reproduce the issue and find the offending change. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!
08/01/14, 10:17 AM   #16
Grogwort
Same issues for me. Still not solved with 2.0.11-beta. Still get same "JavaFX Launcher Error" dialogue.

Updated JRE to 8u11, still won't run.

Rolled back to 2.0.9a, don't update, and it works.

As EricBLivingston mentioned in earlier post, 2.0.9a prompts to install MS VC++ 2010 libraries, and I responded to install them, then receive prompt/warning that newer libraries detected.

I did not get this prompt to install VC++ with 2.0.11-beta if that makes a difference.
08/01/14, 11:34 AM   #17
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We are working on a build with code removed that we think may be causing the problem. I'll post a link here shortly if you have time to test it for us.

We are having trouble finding a windows machine of our own that has this error so we can't really test at the moment.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/01/14 at 11:52 AM.
08/01/14, 12:11 PM   #18
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Those that have downloaded the offical 2.0.11-beta release and are still getting the above "JavaFX Launcher Error" can you please try this release? If you haven't already tried the latest version that is live 2.0.11 please try that first.
  1. Uninstall Minion
  2. Download and install this version: http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.12-alpha.exe
  3. Minion will ask if you want to update if it loads successfully. Please ignore the update because it will try and download 2.0.11 since our updater only checks if your client is different.
  4. Let me know if it works.

What we did was disable JUnique which is a pre-loader that makes sure only 1 instance of Minion is running.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/01/14 at 12:13 PM.
08/01/14, 12:19 PM   #19
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Alternativly those of you that have Minion2.0.11-beta installed and have the above error and also have the Java JDK installed can you run Minion from command line and copy any errors here?

Java -jar C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
08/04/14, 06:10 PM   #20
Grogwort
- live 2.0.11 release produced same error

- Minion2.0.12-alpha without update works

- see attached txt file for errors produced when running Minion2.0.11-beta from command line
Attached Files
File Type: txt Minion2.0.11-beta java error.txt (3.6 KB, 1249 views)

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » "JavaFX Launcher Error" after latest update