06/13/14, 10:21 PM   #1
CrazyNatey
Access Player's Location?

I want to write an addon that will tell you where your friends are located and let you track them on the map. From looking at the API i can see that I can access a players zone, but I don't see anything that would let me access their exact location. Is this possible?
06/14/14, 12:21 AM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I suspect you will only be able to find their location if they are a member of your group using the group member id .. possibly "group1", "group2" etc. In the same way you would use "player" and "target".

Whether it works or not I don't know but I don't see why it would have a problem you knowing where your own group members are.
06/14/14, 04:43 PM   #3
CrazyNatey
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I suspect you will only be able to find their location if they are a member of your group using the group member id .. possibly "group1", "group2" etc. In the same way you would use "player" and "target".

Whether it works or not I don't know but I don't see why it would have a problem you knowing where your own group members are.
Hmm... that would be a disappointment. The whole idea behind my addon would be to specifically locate friends of yours who are not in your group. Currently the core game already shows the location of your group members on your compass and on screen, so it would be a moot point to design an addon to locate group members. The idea I had would be for players who like to trade items, but do not want to mail them to another player with COD. This would make it easier to locate a player so that you can trade items with them. I was thinking of implementing a checkbox system in your contacts list so that you could check/uncheck who you wanted to show. When this is checked for a player they would show an indicator on the in-game Map and Compass, so that you could easily travel to their location without need to group up. I also had the idea of implementing a player search into the map so that you could search for another player by name if they are not in your friends list.

I will wait and see if anyone else has any other ideas, but for now I guess this idea is on hold.
06/14/14, 07:43 PM   #4
Sasky
The game is getting better about it, but the other reason you'd want to group to find a player is to help force the same phase/instance.

The closest you can get would be to inject coordinates into chat -- either plain text or as a link -- and parse it out that way. Of course, you'd both have to have the addon for that, and the addon can't send the chat messages itself -- it'd have to copy the message in there for the player to send the message.
06/14/14, 10:55 PM   #5
CrazyNatey
Originally Posted by Sasky View Post
The game is getting better about it, but the other reason you'd want to group to find a player is to help force the same phase/instance.

The closest you can get would be to inject coordinates into chat -- either plain text or as a link -- and parse it out that way. Of course, you'd both have to have the addon for that, and the addon can't send the chat messages itself -- it'd have to copy the message in there for the player to send the message.

That makes pretty good sense. I hadn't thought about that. this sounds like it may be too much work to be worthwhile from a user's point of view. I'll think about it, but as of now I don't think that I'll be writing this addon.
06/19/14, 05:48 AM   #6
zgrssd
Free Port is propably doing something like this, so it might be your best starting point:
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info404-FreePort.html

It has to match each guild and friendlist players position to Wayshrines position, then travels to the one closest to the target wayshrine.

Note that this will be quite a bit of data so you better update the dispalyed data in short burst (only one guild every second or so). And maybe only update it for the one map the player is looking at.
5 guilds with 500 people each can be 2500 people. Plus approxmiately 100 people friend list (not sure how much).

Last edited by zgrssd : 06/19/14 at 05:56 AM.
06/19/14, 06:11 AM   #7
Halja

If you go the chat message relay design, you have to name it MarcoPolo!
Marco? < coordinates >
[Map pin update]
Polo! < coordinates >
[Map pin update]
06/19/14, 08:29 AM   #8
zgrssd
Originally Posted by zgrssd View Post
Free Port is propably doing something like this, so it might be your best starting point:
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info404-FreePort.html
Another addon like this is Lumunary - Teleporter
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info4...eporterv3.html

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Access Player's Location?