why they did this
maybe its was a mistake and they will fix it

but i think the whine coming to the official forum very soon
already saw two topics
11/10/15, 04:25 AM   #2
Leju
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thumbs down

I am Leju, I'm the administrator and the translation programmer to PT-BR Immediately after the update tried several things so that nothing worked he does not respect the set Language, including also already sent a request to them, seriously it will be one hell of shot in their feet because many players bought the game after the translations!

I have been working for some time in translation and made me very depremido it was preparing to update the translation refers to the last Update and see that happen too discouraged to continue the project!
11/10/15, 04:42 AM   #3
Wandamey
Seriously are their commercial people working for them or against them?
Does that even makes sense for anyone?

trade a win-win situation for a lose-lose one. WTF?

--OK guys if you wanna copy pasta my posts on ESO forum, just know that I can say a lot of bad curse words because I'm very cute and adorable. Choose your own words please. thanks.--

Last edited by Wandamey : 11/10/15 at 05:15 AM.
11/10/15, 06:19 AM   #4
Ayantir

What is broken exactly ?

ZOS ignore other values than "fr", "de" and "en" for Language.2 ?
Did you tried to replace per exemple "fr" strings by yours ?

Just to known and help, I tried once a year ago to set my client in russian, that's all.
11/10/15, 06:43 AM   #5
Wandamey
Idk exactly, reports started falling while EU was still in maintenance. Since some of the people who worked on those languages can't get them working at all, I'm confident they've tried all they could already.

If replacing one of the "official" values is the only solution in the end, that wont do any good either.
But if it works, why not go for it
but not sure how custom font can be supported with this.
And that will make addon testing a bit more of a hell too.

Overall a crappy decision. again.
11/10/15, 06:52 AM   #6
@AlphaLemming

Maybe they made it because they want to publish their own translations?
11/10/15, 07:02 AM   #7
Wandamey
Originally Posted by @AlphaLemming View Post
Maybe they made it because they want to publish their own translations?
Yeah, probably.
russian, spanish, brasilian-portuguese, turkish, chinese, all at the same time while they ****ed up the german VO sound on PTS weeks long.
and all of this with no annoucement, just like a Christmas surprise.
11/10/15, 07:08 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

Why do MMO players always sound so whiny between a patch and an official response to the new issues? Seriously.
There is no official response yet and everyone already starts calling it bad decision making and stuff.
This makes it just harder for ZOS to give a proper answer, so instead of complaining just report that it does not work and wait for their response first.

I don't have any idea how the custom languages work, but from what I read so far I guess they changed how settings are handled and added a check to ensure that arguments are valid in order to fix some other issue and now the other language settings won't work anymore as a side effect. As they are unofficial, they are not obliged to test against them, so nobody noticed that until it hit live. It is most likely a change in the client, so they won't be able to fix it before the next incremental patch and no amount of crying will make it disappear before that.
11/10/15, 07:12 AM   #9
Ayantir

Well, just tried to change filenames, don't work anymore, will look a bit deeper.
11/10/15, 07:13 AM   #10
Wandamey
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Why do MMO players always sound so whiny between a patch and an official response to the new issues? Seriously.
There is no official response yet and everyone already starts calling it bad decision making and stuff.
This makes it just harder for ZOS to give a proper answer, so instead of complaining just report that it does not work and wait for their response first.

I don't have any idea how the custom languages work, but from what I read so far I guess they changed how settings are handled and added a check to ensure that arguments are valid in order to fix some other issue and now the other language settings won't work anymore as a side effect. As they are unofficial, they are not obliged to test against them, so nobody noticed that until it hit live. It is most likely a change in the client, so they won't be able to fix it before the next incremental patch and no amount of crying will make it disappear before that.
If they knew they were doing this, why not a heads up to the communities of translators? Why nothing in the patch notes?
Why do we have to "whine" to get information on a problem that concerns thousands and thousands of people who probably bought the game thanks to those translations?

I think the "whining" is very well deserved here. And way more than that.
If it's just an "error" while validating settings though, why nothing to calm down people down like "whoops sorry we look into it".

-- T. could you please stop quoting me out of context with no link when you are ban dodging? thank you. --

Last edited by Wandamey : 11/10/15 at 07:24 AM.
11/10/15, 07:29 AM   #11
sirinsidiator

Because whoever made the change was not thinking about the implications it will have. Happens most of the time.
And you didn't get an answer because it is early morning in the US. They should wake up around now and soon see that someone posted something on the forums.
11/10/15, 07:35 AM   #12
Wandamey
Well as sad as it is to see the "whining" pile up, they have... well had people working in Europe too. If no one can be woke up for this "little" scratch in the machinery and give an official "whoops" statement, then the whining will just show how bad the service is. And it is. nothing unfair here.
11/10/15, 09:51 AM   #13
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
Cross posted from the official forums:

Hey folks,

In the most recent patch we fixed an exploit that allowed addons to run arbitrary protected code. This exploit could have been used to create a lot of harm, so it was critical that we fix it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there were some unofficial localization addons that were casualties of this fix as they were using the same exploit in a benign way. It was important to us that the hard work done on these addons was not lost, however, so we implemented a new method of doing unofficial localization at the same time that the exploit was fixed. When this new code is live, addon authors will be able to supply a file named <languageCode>_ingame.str (instead of the previous .lua version) and fill it with lines of the form [<stringCode>] = "<string>" to provide localization in a secure way. This new method is presently going through QA and will be made available as soon as we are confident in it. Sorry for the lack of messaging about this in the notes.

As an additional note, we now need to add the languages to the game as unofficial languages so they can be used with the secure system. Presently we have added Russian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. Which other languages are there unofficial translations for so we can make sure they are available when this new code launches?
11/10/15, 09:56 AM   #14
Ayantir

Hey Chip, turkish is actually on progress. their code is "tr", there is also chineese too, but I don't remember well their code. zh I think.

Thanks for the quick reply!
11/10/15, 10:25 AM   #15
Wandamey
Oh thanks for the info.

I'm gonna abuse and use my status of dumbest dev to ask this and preserve all other to look ridiculous. (don't thank me i'm a natural for this)

what does it mean... if I have my default English like this :
en.lua
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_ARMOR_TYPE1", GetString(SI_TRADING_HOUSE_BROWSE_ARMOR_TYPE_LIGHT))
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_ARMOR_TYPE2", GetString(SI_TRADING_HOUSE_BROWSE_ARMOR_TYPE_MEDIUM))
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_ARMOR_TYPE3", GetString(SI_TRADING_HOUSE_BROWSE_ARMOR_TYPE_HEAVY))
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_LOCKITEMLEVELBUTTON0", "Lock item level")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_LOCKITEMLEVELBUTTON1", "Unlock item level")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_SKILLLEVELBUTTON", "Skill level")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_RESETMATBUTTON", "Reset")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_CHARLEVELBUTTON", "Character level")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_SPINNERMAX", "Spinner Max")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_SPINNERMIN", "Spinner Min")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_STYLEMAX", "Max available quantity")
ZO_CreateStringId("SI_QUICKLEATHER_STYLEMIN", "Min available quantity")
and my for example german like this : de.lua
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_LOCKITEMLEVELBUTTON0, "Ausrüstungsstufe sperren")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_LOCKITEMLEVELBUTTON1, "Stufensperre aufheben")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_SKILLLEVELBUTTON, "Fähigkeitsstufe")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_RESETMATBUTTON, "Zurücksetzen")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_CHARLEVELBUTTON, "Charakterstufe")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_SPINNERMAX, "Anzahl Max.")
SafeAddString(SI_QUICKLEATHER_SPINNERMIN, "Anzahl Min.")

does that mean I now have to do this :
de_ingame.str (can I keep the path to the folder, i suppose yes, $language will not be altered in the manifest?)
["SI_QUICKLEATHER_LOCKITEMLEVELBUTTON0"] = "Ausrüstungsstufe sperren"
etc, etc....

edit for more clarity :
OR does it mean that ONLY custom translation will require the format <lang>_ingame.str and that will be interpreted as (for example) ru.lua by the client later?
humm... an example would be nice to sum up.

Last edited by Wandamey : 11/10/15 at 10:36 AM.
11/10/15, 10:45 AM   #16
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
This only matter for localizing the default UI, in that we have to load that string file before the default UI is loaded. Addon localization is not affected.
11/11/15, 03:35 PM   #17
merlight
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
As an additional note, we now need to add the languages to the game as unofficial languages so they can be used with the secure system. Presently we have added Russian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. Which other languages are there unofficial translations for so we can make sure they are available when this new code launches?
Would it be possible to just check the language code with regexp /^[a-z][a-z]$/ instead of hard-coding allowed values?
11/12/15, 09:40 AM   #18
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yeah, we can look at reworking the system to allow that.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 2.5.5 Patch wiped all unofficial translations