03/19/14, 08:41 PM   #1
umarmung
3/19 ESO addon API gutted

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls...ut_any_addons/

API Version Change: Version is now 100003. Update your addons with the "## APIVersion: " tag in the appropriate .txt file.

Main changes: - Removed a number of deprecated events and functions. - Locked down access to Unit information and ability cast functionality. - Locked down access to combat events so that only your own outgoing spells can be monitored with any level of detail. Incoming damage and healing from spells have been restricted to only showing the value and not the name of the spell, type of damage or healing, or who is casting it.

Global Variable Changes: - Removed CastBarType enumeration
Added MouseDestroyItemFailedReason to help inform the user why an item couldn't be destroyed
Removed TOOLTIP_GAME_DATA_SOCKET because much of the old item socketing API has been removed.
Removed a number of unused, irrelevant, or private ActionResults: ACTION_RESULT_BEGIN ACTION_RESULT_BEGIN_CHANNEL ACTION_RESULT_BUFF ACTION_RESULT_COMPLETE ACTION_RESULT_DEBUFF ACTION_RESULT_EFFECT_FADED ACTION_RESULT_EFFECT_GAINED ACTION_RESULT_EFFECT_GAINED_DURATION ACTION_RESULT_LINKED_CAST
Added ACTION_RESULT_MERCENARY_LIMIT (for errors from keep/siege messaging)
Added CampaignReassignmentErrorReason enumeration value for CAMPAIGN_REASSIGN_ERROR_CAMPAIGNS_DISABLED
Added QueueForCampaignResponseType enumeration values: QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_CAMPAIGNS_DISABLED QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_CAMPAIGN_FULL QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_DESTINATION_NOT_UP QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_GROUP_MEMBER_WITH_INSUFFICIENT_LEVEL QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_INSUFFICIENT_LEVEL QUEUE_FOR_CAMPAIGN_RESULT_NOT_ONLINE
Game API Changes:
Removed deprecated functions: DoesUnitHaveTooltip GetUnitFinesseRankInfo GetUnitXPDebt GetUnitPrimaryPowerType GetUnitPrimaryPowerIndex GetMaxPowerPools DoesUnitUsePowerType GetUnitCastingInfo GetUnitBuffSlot GetBuffEffectType GetBuffAbilityType GetBuffStatusEffectType CheckUnitBuffsForAbilityType GetPoisonEffectColorIndex GetPlayerBuffPriorities GetSynergyInfo GetNumSynergies GetSlotAbilityRank CheckSlotAbilityStatusLine HasOtherAbilityOngoingFailure GetActionSlotType IsSlotActionInRange IsSlotActionTooClose GetJournalQuestIsPushed GetQuestDailyCount SetUseInteractionCamera GetItemNumSockets GetItemSocketType GetMaxTransformPlugs GetPlugItemInfo GetPlugItemLink StartSocketingItem StartSocketingUnit ResetSocketing StopSocketing ApplySocketing ClearSocket ApplyPlugToSocket IsCurrentlySocketingItem IsCurrentlySocketingUnit CanPlayerModifySockets AreSocketingChangesPending SocketingChangesWillDestroyUpgrades CanPlugGoInSocket GetClosestKeep GetClosestKeepOfType GetAvAKeepsHeld GetKeepPvPSystem GetParentKeepForKeep GetActiveKeepId DepositBattleTokens GetBattleTokensForKeepUpgradePathLevel GetKeepInCombat RequestKeepInfoForKeep GetBattleTokens IsMapPinFilterSet SetMapPinFilter GetNumMapPinFilters GetSiegeAmmoIcon GetNumGuildReputationRanks GetGuildReputationRankInfo GetNumUsedPlayerAuras GetPlayerAuraInfo GetPlayerMaxLevel GetStatIncreasePerLevel GetNumWeaponSets GetCurrentWeaponSet GetWeaponSetInfo GetWeaponSetXPInfo GetNumWeaponSetRanks GetWeaponSetAbilityInfo RespecAbilityProgression GetNumAbilityProgressions GetNumAbilityProgressionRanks GetNumAttributePassives GetAttributePassiveInfo GetNumAttributeDerivedStats GetAttributeDerivedStatInfo GetNumActiveCombatTips GetGameCameraMinCameraDistance GetGameCameraMaxCameraDistance IsGameCameraTargetInMeleeRange IsGameCameraTargetOutOfRange IsGameCameraUnitHighlightedValid IsGameCameraPreferredTargetHighlightedByReticle IsGameCameraFirstPerson GetKeepWallInfo GetNumHookPoints GetHookPointInfo GetNumHookPointStoreEntries GetHookPointStoreInfo AddHookPointPurchase CompleteHookPointPurchase GetNumKeepPieceHealItems RepairKeepPiece PlaceInSocket IsFriendlyForwardCampAvailable
Removed LogChatText entirely. The user can still create chat logs with the /chatlog command, however the logs are not flushed immediately. It's no longer possible to log arbitrary data to that file.
Added new Synergy API: GetSynergyInfo: returns information about the currently available synergy. Arguments: None Returns: synergyName, iconFilename
Added GetPendingItemPost for information about an item that is being posted to the Guild Store. Arguments: None Returns: bag, slot, quantity
Restricted information that GetUnitBuffInfo has access to. It can now only be used to discover long term buffs about the local player. As such, the final return value "isLongTermBuff" has been removed since the API only returns long-term buffs.
Restricted access to the following functions. They are now private functions and cannot be called by AddOns. SendChatMessage GameCameraInteractStart GameCameraMouseFreeLookStart GameCameraMouseFreeLookStop CycleGameCameraPreferredEnemyTarget ClearGameCameraPreferredTarget ReleaseGameCameraSiegeControlled
Changed Synergy ability API to use a new function ActivateSynergy instead of the old API functions (Activate Buff, UseSynergyEffect, and UseMostRecentSynergyEffect)
Renamed InventoryContainsEmptySoulGem to DoesInventoryContainEmptySoulGem
The Emote API has been changed so that it no longer allows emotes that didn't have slash commands to be used by the player.
Game Event Changes:
Removed events: EVENT_ABILITY_PROGRESSION_FULL_UPDATE EVENT_ABILITY_RANGE_CHANGED EVENT_ACTION_PAGE_UPDATED EVENT_BATTLE_TOKEN_UPDATE EVENT_BEGIN_CAST EVENT_CAMERA_DISTANCE_SETTING_CHANGED EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_COMBAT EVENT_CLOSE_HOOK_POINT_STORE EVENT_CONTROLLED_SIEGE_SOCKETS_CHANGED EVENT_CURRENT_WEAPON_SET_UPDATE EVENT_DELAY_CAST EVENT_DROWN_TIMER_UPDATE EVENT_END_CAST EVENT_GAME_SCORE EVENT_GAME_STATE_CHANGED EVENT_GAME_TIMER_PAUSED EVENT_GUILD_REPUTATION_ADDED EVENT_GUILD_REPUTATION_LOADED EVENT_GUILD_REPUTATION_POINTS_UPDATED EVENT_GUILD_REPUTATION_RANK_UPDATED EVENT_HOOK_POINTS_UPDATED EVENT_INTERACTION_TRANSITION_PENDING EVENT_KEEP_BATTLE_TOKENS_UPDATE EVENT_KEEP_CAPTURE_REWARDS EVENT_KEEP_COMBAT_STATE_CHANGED EVENT_KEEP_RESOURCE_LOCK_UPDATE EVENT_KILL_SPAM EVENT_LEVEL_UP_INFO_UPDATED EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_ABILITY_OCCURED EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_CHARGEUP_BEGIN EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_CHARGEUP_COMPLETE EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_KICKOFF_CAST EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_WEAPON_ABILITY_WAIT_BEGIN EVENT_LOCAL_PLAYER_WEAPON_ABILITY_WAIT_END EVENT_MINIMAP_FILTERS_INITIALIZED EVENT_MOUSEOVER_CHANGED EVENT_NEW_DISCOVERY_AREA EVENT_NEW_REVEAL EVENT_OPEN_HOOK_POINT_STORE EVENT_PLAYER_AURA_UPDATE EVENT_PREFERRED_TARGET_HIGHLIGHT_UPDATE EVENT_PVP_FLAG_CHANGED EVENT_QUEST_DAILY_COUNT_CHANGED EVENT_QUEST_INTERACT_DIALOG EVENT_REASSIGN_CAMPAIGN_FAILED EVENT_SET_CHEVRON EVENT_SHOW_LINKED_CAST EVENT_SHOW_SCOREBOARD EVENT_SHOW_SCOREBUTTON EVENT_SHOW_TIME EVENT_SOCKETING_ITEM_ALREADY_HAS_PROPERTY EVENT_SOCKETING_UNIT_DESTROYED EVENT_SOCKETING_UNIT_SOCKETS_CHANGED EVENT_UPDATE_GAME_STATE EVENT_WEAPON_SET_FULL_UPDATE EVENT_WEAPON_SET_RANK_UPDATE EVENT_WEAPON_SET_XP_UPDATE
Added Event: EVENT_MOUSE_REQUEST_DESTROY_ITEM_FAILED (bagId, slotIndex, itemCount, name, reason)
Changed Event EVENT_SKILL_POINTS_CHANGED to pass information about partial point gains: EVENT_SKILL_POINTS_CHANGED (pointsBefore, pointsNow, partialPointsBefore, partialPointsNow)
Changed Synergy Event API replacing existing events with a single EVENT_SYNERGY_ABILITY_CHANGED that should be used to know when to query the Synergy API about changes to the current Synergy that will be used.
UI Object API Changes:
Changed CompassDisplayControl API for GetCenterOveredPinInfo to return the draw level of the pin currently in the center of the compass. Returns: description, type, distance, drawLayer, (new field) drawLevel, suppressed
Removed TooltipControl API: SetAttributePassive SetHookPointStoreEntry SetPlugItem SetSiegeFire SetSocketingItem SetSynergyBuff SetUnit SetWeaponSetAbility

Last edited by umarmung : 03/19/14 at 08:51 PM.
03/19/14, 09:17 PM   #2
CometDestroyer

No need for this site anymore, thanks Zenimax!
03/19/14, 10:06 PM   #3
Lichbane
Is there anything that CAN be done anymore?

I was all in favour of cutting back some of the enemy info, but it seems like anything of any worth has just been rendered useless. Inventory, gatherer, minimap, item pickup. Does anything work anymore?

Last edited by Lichbane : 03/19/14 at 10:09 PM.
03/19/14, 11:02 PM   #4
Coote

Well, there goes my preorder. Will now be looking forward to the Collector's Edition of Wildstar, instead.
03/19/14, 11:11 PM   #5
dominoid
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Coote View Post
Well, there goes my preorder. Will now be looking forward to the Collector's Edition of Wildstar, instead.
Yes totally based off a headline. It wasn't gutted. Adjusted yes. Gutted no.
03/19/14, 11:21 PM   #6
Coote

Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
I don't have too much of a problem that you can't see any information about your enemy. But you also can't see your own buffs or debuff or that of your own party or raid. THIS is why I canceled.

I'll be back when ESO goes F2P by next year, though.
03/19/14, 11:24 PM   #7
ArienFrost
Unhappy

This is depressing news. I seriously hope that they roll back these changes or at least find some better solution.
03/20/14, 12:07 AM   #8
ingeniousclown
Just remember that there is always the possibility for them to add things back in in the future.
03/20/14, 12:31 AM   #9
Lichbane
Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
Seriously? Adjusted?

Gutted was a pretty good description. What CAN you do now?
03/20/14, 01:01 AM   #10
Kaiserin
Unhappy

They also removed the emote api, so no more Emote Toy for the roleplayers.
03/20/14, 01:56 AM   #11
Visur
No EVENT_KILL_SPAM anymore, I'm sad…really sad.
03/20/14, 04:11 AM   #12
Shinni
Gutted was a pretty good description. What CAN you do now?
I didn't read the article in detail but besides of EmoteAPI and SendChatMessage those were all combat specific comands/event etc, weren't they?
I guess everything that wasn't a combat addon still works.
03/20/14, 05:51 AM   #13
Halja

The change did not break my add-on ESOTheater for emotes. Basically, they did what I was doing for my custom emote table. I filtered out the emotes that did not have a name and/or were not active. There are still 176 emotes. It's still a large list to choose from for roleplaying and such.

The bad is I constructed my list in alphabetically order. This PST release is in a different order. The ID numbers are out of sync. I don't have time to fix before I go to work but I'll release an update today after work.

--halja
03/20/14, 05:57 AM   #14
Halja

The ESO Live Survey 1.4.5-19 from them is broke in almost endless loop for PST right now. Do disable that one before you login until they send a patch. I had to kill the game process to get out.
-halja
03/20/14, 06:06 AM   #15
AlleyKat

Excellent news! This game looks awesome without numbers statistics overload
03/20/14, 06:08 AM   #16
AlleyKat

Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
They also removed the emote api, so no more Emote Toy for the roleplayers.
They just block some npc-only emotes.

Originally Posted by Coote View Post
I don't have too much of a problem that you can't see any information about your enemy. But you also can't see your own buffs or debuff or that of your own party or raid. THIS is why I canceled.

I'll be back when ESO goes F2P by next year, though.
This makes game harder

Last edited by AlleyKat : 03/20/14 at 06:11 AM.
03/20/14, 07:29 AM   #17
Tannhaeuser

Originally Posted by AlleyKat View Post
This makes game harder
not harder, just random. you have to guess instead to know.
03/20/14, 08:23 AM   #18
ingeniousclown
Excellent news! This game looks awesome without numbers statistics overload
Pretty sure the numbers will all still be there. You still have access to your own damage numbers, both in and out, plus full details on everything you do. You more-so lose out on the details pertaining to other players, such as how much health they have exactly and exactly what they're casting and where exactly that big hit you took came from.
03/20/14, 09:06 AM   #19
inDef
Overall the reactions I've been reading are extremely over-exaggerated.

ZOS had 2 options here:

1. Keep the API the way it was and upgrade their own UI to display all the information that you could get through addons.

or

2. Scale back the API and only allow it to access the same information as the default UI.

They went with step 2 which is a very smart decision. Step 1 would take time they don't have right now, plain and simple. Step 2 allows them to start "bare bones" so to speak and then add features slowly based on user feedback.

In business it is ALWAYS better to start with less and add...then to start with more and remove.

This was a very good decision by ZOS. Any other reaction to this news is simply an emotional gamer over-reaction.
03/20/14, 09:18 AM   #20
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
They just block some npc-only emotes.
Wykkyd's Framework has macro-able emotes that still function fine.
Wykkyd's Full Immersion puts a click-able emote list on the chat window that still works fine.

Fret not.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 3/19 ESO addon API gutted