10/14/20, 11:21 AM   #1
veckler
Addons are working but they have no settings

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows 10, and to save some time I copied the ESO folder to an external HDD (also the one in the documents folder). After I finished setting up Windows, I copied the game back to the internal SSD.

I launched the game, it was running fine, then logged out, and extracted my addons in the correct folder (I had them in a zip).

I launched the game again, and seemingly the addons are working, but with a few exceptions they have no settings menus. These exceptions are: Votan's Minimap, Votan's Map Pins and Votan's Group Pins. These 3 are located in the Add-Ons menu (the one with the hyphen). But in the AddOns menu (without the hyphen) I can only see InventoryGridView.

Since then I ran the ESO Installer, repaired the game files, deleted every addon and then installed them through minion, checked multiple times if minion is set to the correct folder, which I believe it is, because the screenshots I attached were automatically saved there.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is doing a clean reinstall of ESO, because it could take a while and this case got me kind of curious.

The one thing I'm suspicious about is the path to the addon folder slightly changed (and I'm only suspicious because it is not a clean ESO install).
It used to be:
C:\Users\Veckler\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

And now it is:
C:\Users\veckl\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

That is because Microsoft hates me, and I couldn't install Windows only with a local account anymore, I was forced to do it with my MS account, so it slapped the beginning of my email address on the user folder.

Since my screenshots are bigger than 2MB, I posted them here
https://imgur.com/a/UPg5tF7
10/14/20, 11:27 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Related to the correct addon folder:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9406

There also exists many many other threads about "addons not found", "addons not working", "settings missing" etc.
Please read the forum thread linked above and follow the mentioned sticky posts and information.
It shows you how to detect the correct addons folder.

Another hint: Microsoft OneDrive is not compatible with ESO! So if you got OneDrive enabled uncheck the settingsbox at OneDrive which saves your user folder to OneDrive!

If you got the corerct addon folder:
After testing which addon folder is the correct one check if any of the addons got an old version of LibAddonMenu-2.0 in a subfolder like AddonName/libs/LibAddonMenu-2.0
Try to remove them from the subfolders and just install the newest version of LibAddonMenu-2.0 into your live/Addons folder.

And I recommand using Minion to install, update your addons and libraries as many addons get updates very often, and manually keeping them updated can be frustrating.

Btw:
InventoryGridView is old and maybe it's even this addon which got a LibAddonMenu-2.0 subfolder.
Check the addon comments I think I had linked a version without libraries bundled somehwere there which should fix this.

Last edited by Baertram : 10/14/20 at 11:30 AM.
10/14/20, 11:27 AM   #3
votan

Check for "LibAddonMenu-2.0" nested in addon's sub-folders. Keep the one in the addons root folder, only.
This may breaks an addon, which is probably the culprit.
10/14/20, 11:55 AM   #4
veckler
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Related to the correct addon folder:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9406

There also exists many many other threads about "addons not found", "addons not working", "settings missing" etc.
Please read the forum thread linked above and follow the mentioned sticky posts and information.
It shows you how to detect the correct addons folder.
I saw a lot of "addons not working" and "Addons not found" issues, but I have not seen this specific issue reported anywhere. And I did every one of those steps you mentioned (I forgot to say that I also disabled onedrive and whitelisted the Documents folder in Windows defender), and as I said in my original post, that later I deleted every single addon, and then installed them through minion.

Although you were right about InventoryGridView, I deleted that, reinstalled LibAddonMenu-2.0 and now it works. Which is kind of odd, because yesterday before the windows install it was just fine. Anyway, thank you.

Originally Posted by votan View Post
Check for "LibAddonMenu-2.0" nested in addon's sub-folders. Keep the one in the addons root folder, only.
This may breaks an addon, which is probably the culprit.
Well only LibAddonMenu-2.0 had a subfolder with the same name. Funnily enough I deleted that, and then I had 2 addons in the settings, but then I got several other errors.
Although Baertream's advice on InventoryGridView was right.
10/15/20, 05:02 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The problem is, like Votan also responded, that some addons contain subfolders (most of the time in a subfolder "libs") where older library versions are included and loaded hardcoded from the addon's txt file.
In the InventoryGridView.txt file there will be lines like /libs/LIbAddonMenu-2.0/LibAddonMenu-2.0.lua etc.
But this is an older approach of loading dependencies which makes updating libraries pretty hard and fail very often.

Removing the subfolders will keep the old txt file but the txt will not find the fodlers and files anymore and silently fail.
You can add
Code:
## DependsOn: LibAddonMenu-2.0
to this addon's txt file so that it will load the library from your AddOns folder (standalone installation, like an addon) which in most cases fixes the problem.

Another problem could be that the old versions of LAM2 still try to load the library via LibStub which now is obsolete.
First of all do the same like described above and then search in the addon files for "LibAddonMenu-2.0".
Replace any finding in the addons of e.g.
Code:
local LAM = LibStub("LibAddonMenu-2.0")
With:
Code:
local LAM = LibAddonMenu2
where the first part local LAM could be somethign else. The main part is the ending with LibStub("LibAddonMenu-2.0") -> LibAddonMenu2

These 2 fixes should fix the settings menu of your addons.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Addons are working but they have no settings