04/09/14, 07:56 AM   #1
Mitazaki

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Copying addons

What are the rules on other authors uploading near replicas of your own addons ?

For example if 2 addons of my own were merged by another author and then altered or changed slightly ?
04/09/14, 08:09 AM   #2
thelegendaryof

That depends on what licenses you provided or simpler said - what you allow them to do.
If no licenses are provided they are completely protected by copyright even if they're Open Source.
04/09/14, 08:33 AM   #3
Mitazaki

I also noted this in upload rules :
You certify that either you are the copyright holder of all documents being submitted or have permission to submit them.
So if no license or permission was provided then the addon is breaking the rules ?
04/09/14, 08:51 AM   #4
Stormknight

As far as I understand it, yes.

The add-on is your intellectual property, so people aren't allowed to just upload it and claim it's theirs, even if they make a couple of small tweaks.

I've never been quite sure on the topic of UI packs though, where people package a number of add-ons and correctly credit the authors. Haven't seen those for ESO yet though.
04/09/14, 09:16 AM   #5
ins
I have not looked at the source code but from what the 'author' states in the comment sections he combined two of your addons into one of "his".
I suppose he should have uploaded it as a patch to yours instead.

It is a bit tricky with addons I feel. On one hand I would think we all would like for there to be a great number of awesome addons, with the sharing of ideas, coding tips and tricks etc. with each other. But on the other hand I assume we would want to avoid a situation where there are 5 identical clones for every addon, simply because people want credit.

I saw in the comment section someone wanted me to include auto-repair in one addon. After seeing this thread I think it would be better if I direct the user to one of the other durability/repair addons (even though they all, for some reason, want to use a UI for this.) instead of adding it as an option in mine (Although I would implement it differently than those others -- because I can not do XML )
04/09/14, 10:07 AM   #6
thelegendaryof

Originally Posted by Mitazaki View Post
I also noted this in upload rules :

So if no license or permission was provided then the addon is breaking the rules ?
Short Answer: Yes.

Best practice is just contact that person directly and ask him to delete it.

And tell him to upload an optional Patch (like written above) to your Addon,
or that you will create an combined Package yourself. If you don't want to,
it 's absolutely legally correct to prohibit him from doing so.

If he doesn't respond, communicate or listen to you just contact an Admin
to deal with it with the Hard Way with Thor 's Hammer like this:

Remember:

Being friendly and social should always be the first way to dealing with such stuff thought.

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 04/09/14 at 10:17 AM.
04/09/14, 01:17 PM   #7
Mitazaki

I'm always open to suggestions, ideas and collaborations but I don't like the idea of someone taking my stuff without communication and putting up an addon that directly competes with my own. Not to mention the fact that he's basically taking credit for my own idea and work.
04/09/14, 01:43 PM   #8
Locnar
There's nothing wrong with competition. If however, he used your code without consulting you first that is very bad form!!
04/09/14, 02:19 PM   #9
Iyanga
Originally Posted by Mitazaki View Post
I'm always open to suggestions, ideas and collaborations but I don't like the idea of someone taking my stuff without communication and putting up an addon that directly competes with my own. Not to mention the fact that he's basically taking credit for my own idea and work.
Always a difficult topic.

Often an author hates it when his work is stolen, but doesn't mind to steal the work of someone else. For example, copy a picture someone else made and use it as his forum avatar, without permission.

04/09/14, 02:21 PM   #10
ins
Stealing isn't the correct word to use in either case.

You can use this:

Last edited by ins : 04/09/14 at 02:30 PM.
04/09/14, 02:24 PM   #11
Yazilliclick
Originally Posted by ins View Post
Stealing isn't the correct word to use.
This discussion route probably isn't one people should want to go down. It's a discussion and topic that never really goes well I find.
04/10/14, 02:44 PM   #12
Mitazaki

But in this case the author has taken 2 of my addons, merged them and has admitted to this. It's no different than me taking loot drop or FTC and making minor changes and uploading it as my own.

It's gotten to the point where I have left a comment on his addon requesting removal of it. I have yet to hear from admins about this issue.

His addon
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=170#info

My own addons
http://www.esoui.com/portal.php?id=21&a=list

Last edited by Mitazaki : 04/10/14 at 02:46 PM.
04/10/14, 02:47 PM   #13
Sharp

Generally, I think addons are "All Rights Reserved" unless specified otherwise. If there is beyond a reasonable doubt that he's taken your work, I think it should be brought down until your work has been removed.
04/10/14, 02:56 PM   #14
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi Mitazaki, We have been waiting to hear from the other party. Since its taking awhile we have put that AddOn on hold (download removed) until we can get in communication with him and rectify the situation.

Thanks for filing the report. We take copyright claims very seriously and investigate them fully.

Last edited by Dolby : 04/10/14 at 03:00 PM.
04/10/14, 03:02 PM   #15
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ugh, apologies for not posting on this thread (or sending a PM to Mitazaki) sooner. I meant to. I've contacted Skoodat asking him to remove the code that isn't his own. I'm just waiting to hear back from him. I just got pulled away to something else and forgot to let Mitazaki know. Sorry.
04/10/14, 03:22 PM   #16
Mitazaki

I shouldn't of brought the issue to this thread I really just wanted to know if I was in the right or not regarding the authors addon. I appreciate you looking into this and getting back to me.
04/10/14, 03:31 PM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No worries at all Mitazaki.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Copying addons