04/15/14, 07:44 PM   #1
MobiusOne
[REQUEST]hold ctrl for second skill set?

So, I did a scroll-through on the 5 pages of requests, did some good searching (switch, bar, skill, etc) and I don't *think* this exists or has been requested yet. I apologize if it's out there already and I failed to find it. I'm sure that irritates y'all. I tried pretty hard, mostly because this is my first post here and i don't wanna be declared an ass already.

Anyways, the concept is really pretty simple. So simple, in fact, that I think it would be possible with a third-party hotkey program, but I *really* don't wanna risk being against ToS and getting banned or something. Basically, when you hold ctrl, the tilde key is pressed, and pressed again when you release.

...Now that i've spelled it out, it seems silly if it HASN'T already been talked about, and I question the legality. You would temporarily switch to your other weapon and skill set. The normal function of the tilde key would be preserved, so you could switch to either bar as your "main" bar and still be able to get extremely easy access to the other bar's 6 skills.

I'm sure the benefit is pretty clear, but if not here's an example: As a dual wield/bow Nightblade, the skill "Mark Target" lasts long enough for most fights, and is great for both skillsets. But nobody wants a skill that lasts that long hogging a slot on both bars. As things stand, the best thing to do would be to leave it on one bar or the other, and use it just before switching and initiating combat.

So now that I've spelled it out enough, CAN it be done, SHOULD it be done, and would it be legal/more appropriate to just do something such as this via a third-party program?

I know nothing of the scripting involved in ESO mods, and very little of the ToS. I feel like this would be so simple that I could probably spend a couple weeks reading and answer those questions myself, but I appreciate any response from "the pros" or really anyone more knowledgeable than me.

...And sorry I type in such a damn long-winded manner. Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Oh yeah, ctrl won't work for most people, for obvious reasons (stealth), but that sort of thing can be made easily changable, no? Figures, I made a fuss about not being an ass on my first post, and then totally forgot about that until RIGHT when I hit submit.

Last edited by MobiusOne : 04/15/14 at 07:55 PM.
04/16/14, 11:37 AM   #2
Iyanga
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MobiusOne View Post
Anyways, the concept is really pretty simple. So simple, in fact, that I think it would be possible with a third-party hotkey program, but I *really* don't wanna risk being against ToS and getting banned or something. Basically, when you hold ctrl, the tilde key is pressed, and pressed again when you release.
This doesn't work per se, because afaik you can't fake key pressing.

But then again, the API does allow to switch the weapon set, what you actually want and allows to create new key bindings. So I don't see a technical problem with it.

As a dual wield/bow Nightblade, the skill "Mark Target" lasts long enough for most fights, and is great for both skillsets. But nobody wants a skill that lasts that long hogging a slot on both bars. As things stand, the best thing to do would be to leave it on one bar or the other, and use it just before switching and initiating combat.
Tilde, 1, tilde versus keypress-hold, 1, keypress-release...I don't quite see the benefit.

I can think of other stuff that would be more handy, in my opinion - like auto-switch to the Mark Target weapon set after combat and auto-switch to other weapon set after casting Mark Target...in example.
04/16/14, 01:35 PM   #3
MobiusOne
Say I have mark target on slot 1 on my bow bar. From the dual wield bar, ctrl+1 would mark the target and put me back on my dual wield bar. I guess it really is pretty personal, but for me, the tilde key is just an unnatural key to use for an actual game function. I find that I'm constantly shifting my skill hand either too far left or too far right because of it.

For the time being, I moved sneak to the C key, which I've always been used to (character menu to U) and I'm using ctrl as my weapon swap. It's working out better, but I'm hoping I can find a way to simply make ctrl press again on release.

From your answer, it sounds legal and possible, but I'd need to do it with script functions, right? Since it doesn't seem to sound as revolutionary to anyone else, I suppose it'll be my personal project. I'll start studying after work.

Any tips anyone has for me are appreciated, and if any of you would be interested in a release, let me know here. Maybe it'll motivate me to learn faster.
04/16/14, 02:38 PM   #4
Sharp

Say I have mark target on slot 1 on my bow bar. From the dual wield bar, ctrl+1 would mark the target and put me back on my dual wield bar. I guess it really is pretty personal, but for me, the tilde key is just an unnatural key to use for an actual game function. I find that I'm constantly shifting my skill hand either too far left or too far right because of it.

For the time being, I moved sneak to the C key, which I've always been used to (character menu to U) and I'm using ctrl as my weapon swap. It's working out better, but I'm hoping I can find a way to simply make ctrl press again on release.

From your answer, it sounds legal and possible, but I'd need to do it with script functions, right? Since it doesn't seem to sound as revolutionary to anyone else, I suppose it'll be my personal project. I'll start studying after work.

Any tips anyone has for me are appreciated, and if any of you would be interested in a release, let me know here. Maybe it'll motivate me to learn faster.
The best option I could see for you is to get a keyboard that has macro keys, and create that exact function. You can rebind the tilde key as well. I have my switch bound to mouse wheel.
04/16/14, 02:54 PM   #5
MobiusOne
So is it "legal" to use AutoHotKey for this? I haven't used it in years but I know it would be sooooo easy.

I'd get rid of the binding to ctrl, and just make a macro that does it with the tilde key. Done.
04/16/14, 03:59 PM   #6
Sharp

So is it "legal" to use AutoHotKey for this? I haven't used it in years but I know it would be sooooo easy.

I'd get rid of the binding to ctrl, and just make a macro that does it with the tilde key. Done.
It's just a keyboard macro. It should be fine to use. I know many that have keyboards with programmable macros that use it with ESO.
04/16/14, 09:42 PM   #7
MobiusOne
So I went for it with AutoHotKey. It's *not* the program I thought it was, but after about an hour of fiddling I got things working. I'm back to using the tilde key for "permanent" switch, and my ctrl key does one switch on press, one switch on release.

It's exactly what I wanted, I love it, and I'm still not 100% sure it's really allowed, but I'm thinking I'm not in any real danger seeing as it's good intentioned tinkering.

Anyways, thanks for putting me on the right track.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [REQUEST]hold ctrl for second skill set?