05/02/22, 01:51 PM   #1
Stirps
SkyShards not working

Hello forum people,

my SkyShards Addon is not working, as in it is not showing on the map. If I use /skyshards it does open up the addon menu.
All the libs it depends on work, I have installed it manually twice now and contacted friends who installed it on the same day to make sure that mine was in order.

Apparently I am the only person with such a problem and I do not know how to fix it. Help would be greatly appreciated. Other addons such as destinations, azurah, etc work perfectly fine and without complications.
05/02/22, 03:18 PM   #2
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Stirps View Post
my SkyShards Addon is not working, as in it is not showing on the map. If I use /skyshards it does open up the addon menu.
All the libs it depends on work, I have installed it manually twice now and contacted friends who installed it on the same day to make sure that mine was in order.

Apparently I am the only person with such a problem and I do not know how to fix it.
It's like the commercial for Alexis where they guy wants to make a grilled cheese sandwich and Chef Ramsay yells, the sandwich is the %$$# recipe. If you installed it properly then it would be working. You can't really have it installed properly and it mysteriously doesn't work.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8858

So read the sticky post. I have no way to know what you did wrong. In fact I'd see why on gods green earth Minion isn't working for you and just fix that. It will not make the common mistakes users make.

All I can say is the biggest issue I see for people is not unziping files properly. People use a variety of programs and somehow they create folders within folders of folders. Also DO NOT KEEP backups of ANY mod in your Addons folder. The backup should be in a folder outside of Addons and maybe on the desktop for example. Only put Addons and the libraries in the Addons folder.

It goes here: C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards

Not any of this

C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards\SkyShards
C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards_v304\SkyShards
C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards_v304.zip\SkyShards\SkyShards
C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\SkyShards
C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\AddOns\SkyShards

Last edited by Sharlikran : 05/02/22 at 05:29 PM.
05/02/22, 05:46 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hello Strirps,

welcome.
But why is no one noticing and/or reading the sticky posts saying "Please read BEFORE asking addon&library questions/post bugs/want to remove your addon"
Seems to be too hard to find... there at the top... obviously saying what to do first

1st: You'd find the part where it tells you to NOT write a new forum post about still maintained addons BUT post / read the comments of the addon first.
2nd: As Sharlikran tried to tell you it's hard to guess why it's not working for 1 person where it works for hundreds others. Either you installed it wrong, or you have configured it wrong, or you go other addons active that break Skyshards, or you have simply disabled the Skyshard icons at the map filters, or there is some mystery to be solved that others do not find

3rd: Logout, delete the file live/shaders_cache.cooked
4th: Disable ALL other addons and only enable Skyshards, test if this fixes it.
5th: Provide more infos please but use the addon comments so others benefit from it, at the addon, who search for similar issues (and leavng the authors the possibility to reply there properly, and admin their comments as they like to).

Last edited by Baertram : 05/02/22 at 05:48 PM.
05/02/22, 05:52 PM   #4
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Maybe the website devs could direct people to that page before allowing them to make a forum post? Because I imagine a lot of people just do Forums > New Post without checking out other threads.
05/03/22, 01:01 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by LoneStar2911 View Post
Maybe the website devs could direct people to that page before allowing them to make a forum post? Because I imagine a lot of people just do Forums > New Post without checking out other threads.
Well, it's nothing they should be forced to, but it's as simple as it can because it is a known process within forums (and other ressources) since decades.
Even if you are not used to forums you should notice the ease of this:
Before you post, you read and you use the forum search.
Creating rules which are carved in stone will not help. Should be common sense to follow that automatically, on your own responsibility.

-> Generelly spoken, not only related to the post of Stirps!

Last edited by Baertram : 05/03/22 at 01:17 AM.
05/03/22, 01:42 AM   #6
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Well, it's nothing they should be forced to, but it's as simple as it can because it is a known process within forums (and other ressources) since decades.
Even if you are not used to forums you should notice the ease of this:
Before you post, you read and you use the forum search.
Creating rules which are carved in stone will not help. Should be common sense to follow that automatically, on your own responsibility.

-> Generelly spoken, not only related to the post of Stirps!
You and I know that. But you know probably better than I do that people don't do things as they should, or even as they could. They just... do. lol.
That's why, at least in the USA, we have to put "WARNING: HOT" on cups of coffee. There's some people who just don't... try.

So my thought was, instead of you all having to repeat yourself a zillion times, maybe the website devs could help the noobs, lazys, and ignorant folks find their answer before they waste people's time.

Just an idea. I love you addon developers and just want your lives to be a smidge easier. lol

Edit: Also, none of my response is directed towards Stirps. I'm just generalizing from past experiences. Things I've noticed.

Last edited by NeuroticPixels : 05/03/22 at 01:44 AM. Reason: No offense meant to the OP!
05/03/22, 04:11 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
That's why, at least in the USA, we have to put "WARNING: HOT" on cups of coffee.
Yes, I love these texts like "Objects in mirrors..." or the story about the american driver of a camper who left the driver's seat, after activating the cruise contrl, to cook some coffee in the back, or that older woman who has put her cat into the mirco wave to dry it/her
And all of them got money for being ...

I often ask myself WHY ISN'T... and then I stop thinking about it, because I cannot explain it.
I refuse to say these ppl did that on purpose because US laws provide a good way to get some money by sueing someone, but I got no better explanation. Or well, the easiest explanation would be: They are ignorant (just because I can and no one told me to NOT do that) or/and dumb.

I totally get your point. But instead of raising more persons to actually follow written rules ONLY it should be a favor for and desire of them to learn to think themselves and follow even unwritten rules and ideas. That's my opinion about it.
Or there will be always the next use case where someone did not say "Don't do that" and they will do it even though they totally would know, if they think about it 1 second, that it's nuts and would hurt/damage/get broken/is ethically wrong etc.

"No one told me to not do it" is a bad exuse in so many cases.

In Germany there exists a saying: "Ignorance does not protect one from punishment" which basically means:
Inform yourself, THINK and you will know what's okay, and what's not

Last edited by Baertram : 05/03/22 at 04:17 AM.
05/03/22, 12:46 PM   #8
Stirps
> So read the sticky post. I have no way to know what you did wrong. In fact I'd see why on gods green earth Minion isn't working for you and just fix that. It will not make the common mistakes users make.
Minion does not recognize my eso addon folder, I install it as usual and when I try to direct it to where addons are stored it does not take in any input. Because I usually do not have a problem installing anything manually, I didn't bother trying to fix it.

> It goes here: C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\SkyShards
I know. That's also where it is. I followed the installation guide. I read the readme. I checked for others experiencing similar things.

>But why is no one noticing and/or reading the sticky posts saying "Please read BEFORE asking addon&library questions/post bugs/want to remove your addon"
Cause it was super late for me and I had worked 12h that day, yes I could have looked for it more but tbh I wrote that whole post out of frustration and didn't see it.

> 1st: You'd find the part where it tells you to NOT write a new forum post about still maintained addons BUT post / read the comments of the addon first.
I did read through it. I didn't find a solution.

After starting eso again today it works now. I have changed nothing since yesterday. It can't be the restart because I had done that too then. I am thoroughly confused. Won't complain about it.
Guess it wasn't my idiot ass being unable to drag and drop things into the right folders but something random, maybe a different program running in the background that ****ed it up (After all eso is special sometimes. I couldn't play at all for some time because the icon size on my desktop was at 150% and not 100%)

Thanks again for the help.
05/03/22, 02:03 PM   #9
Sharlikran

Originally Posted by Stirps View Post
After starting eso again today it works now. I have changed nothing since yesterday. It can't be the restart because I had done that too then. I am thoroughly confused.
Yeah sorry the entire thread went in a totally different direction.

I am glad you got it working. Usually when the graphic for the shard isn't showing that's when the folders are not where they should be. I'm as confused as you but hopefully it will stay working for you.
05/04/22, 02:04 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Cause it was super late for me and I had worked 12h that day, yes I could have looked for it more but tbh I wrote that whole post out of frustration and didn't see it.
Thanks for your honest feedback, glad it works again now.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » SkyShards not working