12/28/23, 01:04 PM   #1
sinnereso
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
help to change overhead group chevron color

Hi! im looking to find a way to change the overhead group crown and member chevron color. I''ve been digging around but can't seem to find the function or constant reference to it to even start.

I'm mainly interested in re-coloring particular friends ingroup.
12/28/23, 04:14 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...GroupPins.html

If you spy code or use it provide full credit please.
12/29/23, 02:43 AM   #3
Dolgubon

Are you looking for something like Ody's support icons?
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2834-OdySupportIcons-GroupRoleIconsMore.html
I do see there's some icon packs for it as well, so if it doesn't have the icon you want you could go that route.
12/29/23, 12:01 PM   #4
sinnereso
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...GroupPins.html

If you spy code or use it provide full credit please.
Of course I would! But I dont usually do that as my addon written very differently I think from most I have to completely rewrite everything. I mostly peek for constants or commands to access things when I cant find a way myself.

I was merely trying to easily be able to locate someone specific in group but I found an easier way by modifying one line in "lights of meridia" to only display the light under additional circumstances for group members, which is far superior to anything I was considering making.
12/29/23, 12:03 PM   #5
sinnereso
Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
Are you looking for something like Ody's support icons?
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2834-OdySupportIcons-GroupRoleIconsMore.html
I do see there's some icon packs for it as well, so if it doesn't have the icon you want you could go that route.
I was hoping there would be a constant or something so you could for example "setChevronColor(R,G.B values)" or something to that nature.
12/29/23, 01:07 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by sinnereso View Post
Of course I would! But I dont usually do that as my addon written very differently I think from most I have to completely rewrite everything. I mostly peek for constants or commands to access things when I cant find a way myself.
If you spy other code and even only find the constants and/or API functions you should provide proper credit to the other addons and /or author(s) in your addons description no matter what you name or how you recode the very same new in your addon!
That's fair and good way to show respect (and even is law in some countries).

So I don't understand your answer here?
It sounds like "yes I know what intellectual property is but I just ignore it as I'm basicaly using it but I have renamed the code and redone it totally different (using the same idea) in my code"
What basically is exactly what you should NOT do without telling where your sources and/or ideas came from IF the were not totally up to yourself.

But I might have missunderstood you there.

Last edited by Baertram : 12/29/23 at 01:10 PM.
12/29/23, 03:49 PM   #7
sinnereso
If you spy other code and even only find the constants and/or API functions you should provide proper credit to the other addons and /or author(s) in your addons description no matter what you name or how you recode the very same new in your addon!

So I don't understand your answer here?
It sounds like "yes I know what intellectual property is but I just ignore it as I'm basicaly using it but I have renamed the code and redone it totally different (using the same idea) in my code"
What basically is exactly what you should NOT do without telling where your sources and/or ideas came from IF the were not totally up to yourself.

But I might have missunderstood you there.
yes I think you did misunderstand. I would have not thought api functions and constants are anyone other than ZOS intelectual property and free to use. Thats what I was referring to.

I peek to see how to access something usually. I know what I want to do and usually even how I want to do it but sometimes dont know what a function or constant etc might be called to look for to use in my own code.

Last edited by sinnereso : 12/30/23 at 08:23 PM.
12/29/23, 08:01 PM   #8
Dolgubon

only find the constants and/or API functions.
Maybe im wrong, but specifically with regards to the API and constants, I disagree. That's not the addon's IP, nor would it fall under laws regarding IP in most countries. It's ZOS IP if anything. If you say learn that SendMail is used to send mails by looking at another addon, you are just 'copying' the knowledge (that originated from ZOS!) that SendMail sends mails. There's no creation there, and no original idea that could be considered the IP of an addon author.
12/30/23, 06:00 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Right, but he did not know the api and constants he sais and was looking for them. And if the then looks at other addons how they did it and reuses the Constants and api, cuz he then found them it's just fair to mention that.

That's all I meant

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » help to change overhead group chevron color