01/27/19, 06:26 AM   #1
and
Combat Reticle feature

Hi All,

I would like to to request an add-on related to the combat reticle.

I think it would be great to have the basic reticle (or an enhanced one, what Combat Reticle or Rainbow Reticle add-ons provide) changing colour based on what weapon set I am equipping (front/back).

I reckon it is not impossible to do and I think it might be useful.

Many thanks!
01/27/19, 06:52 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd rather ask you to ask the dev of the existing addons to add the feature instead of building another new addon then. Seems easier and faster to accomplish Imo.
01/27/19, 07:27 AM   #3
and
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I'd rather ask you to ask the dev of the existing addons to add the feature instead of building another new addon then. Seems easier and faster to accomplish Imo.
I did, actually.

The original dev of Combat Reticle suggested to use the forums

I have also contacted the dev of Rainbow Reticle, waiting for an answer.
01/27/19, 09:36 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm using rainbow reticle. Will have a look if such feature would be hard to implement but I doubt it.
You'd need to check the active weapon pair, react on a change (event is available therefor) and change the color then. Settings to define for both weapon bars: the color for out of combat and in combat, reticle over enemy in combat or not, etc. The lam settings would most probably the most work
01/27/19, 01:03 PM   #5
and
I'm using rainbow reticle. Will have a look if such feature would be hard to implement but I doubt it.
You'd need to check the active weapon pair, react on a change (event is available therefor) and change the color then. Settings to define for both weapon bars: the color for out of combat and in combat, reticle over enemy in combat or not, etc. The lam settings would most probably the most work

Lovely

Both CR and RR are great, and I was honestly surprised that they didn't have this feature.
At the moment I managed to mofify a very old addon (SWI), showing a big coloured number based on the set I use, but I really don't know how to touch complex addons...

BTW, what are the "lam settings"?

Thanks!
01/27/19, 03:01 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Lam = LibAddonMenu-2.0 > Addon settings
01/28/19, 06:21 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Just checked Rainbow Reticle and there are no color settings so this makes no sense to implement this here, as the reticle will only change the color for friends, guildmates, etc.
Would be better to implement in CombatReticle then Iguess, which I'm not using. Will have a look at it.
01/28/19, 02:42 PM   #8
and
Would it be better to have a simple addon doing just that or does integrating it into CR is eaier?
01/28/19, 03:38 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If you have another addon which changes the color it will most-likely interfere with other reticle addons which change the color, so its harder to get them working if they are not in the same addon.
I've started to work on a CR change to add the settings for weapon pair colors (and noticed there are some global variables leaking from CR which might even break other addons by accident).

Don't expect anything soon as I need to change and test it ingame and teh servers were not available half of the day today. Next days I'm off for work so just wait please and as it is ready for a test I'll link you the version here.
01/29/19, 11:48 AM   #10
and
If you have another addon which changes the color it will most-likely interfere with other reticle addons which change the color, so its harder to get them working if they are not in the same addon.
I've started to work on a CR change to add the settings for weapon pair colors (and noticed there are some global variables leaking from CR which might even break other addons by accident).

Don't expect anything soon as I need to change and test it ingame and teh servers were not available half of the day today. Next days I'm off for work so just wait please and as it is ready for a test I'll link you the version here.
It makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation

Soon? No worries, of course, you are being so helpful that I really can't have any expectations.
Actually, I have so many add-ons that I can be considered a solid benchmark

Last edited by and : 01/30/19 at 02:58 PM.
01/29/19, 03:38 PM   #11
Drakanwulf

Baertran, would you add me to that link list also, please? Thanks...
02/03/19, 09:14 AM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Here is the link for my CombatReticle beta version including different reticle color settings for weapon pair main and backup:
CombatReticle beta weapon pair colors

Please test it a lot and tell me if everything works, or not. Tell me how to rebuild any bugs in detail please so I can fix them. If we got a version which is stable and performant I'll release it as a patch.

I also changed the internal stuff so there is a global table CombatReticle now, and some other errors like global variables named "ctrl" or "settings" were removed/renamed as well to fix compatibility issues with other addons.

Libraries were removed as well so please be sure to load LibStub and LibAddonMenu-2.0 as standalone libraries!
02/03/19, 04:13 PM   #13
Drakanwulf

Downloaded for testing on Live and PTS. Thanks for the fix, Baertram.

The standalone libraries can be downloaded from these ESOUI locations:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info44-LibStub.html
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info7-LibAddonMenu.html

Last edited by Drakanwulf : 02/03/19 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added library download URLs
02/03/19, 05:08 PM   #14
and
I managed to play a couple of hours in Cyro, it works like a charm and I haven't noticed any issue.
I plan to test it tomorrow in PvE too.

BTW, do you need any specific test to be run?

Jolly good job!!! Many thanks
02/03/19, 06:50 PM   #15
Drakanwulf

I downloaded fresh copies of LibStub and LAM from the ESO libraries listed above before starting my tests.

I should not have downloaded LAM because it has not been updated since 100023, or thereabouts; it has a naked LibStub embedded within it; and it has no DependsOn: to instruct the game to find and use the latest LibStub.

So I cannot test this update until LAM has been repaired to work with stand alone add-ons. Sorry...

Yes, I could have repaired LAM but, when I am testing, I test as an ignorant user who has no idea how the game or Minion, etc. works. I just follow the instructions I have been given.
02/03/19, 06:53 PM   #16
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Drakanwulf View Post
I downloaded fresh copies of LibStub and LAM from the ESO libraries listed above before starting my tests.

I should not have downloaded LAM because it has not been updated since 100023, or thereabouts; it has a naked LibStub embedded within it; and it has no DependsOn: to instruct the game to find and use the latest LibStub.

So I cannot test this update until LAM has been repaired to work with stand alone add-ons. Sorry...

Yes, I could have repaired LAM but, when I am testing, I test as an ignorant user who has no idea how the game or Minion, etc. works. I just follow the instructions I have been given.
You are kidding me, right?
LibAddonMenu uses LiBStub from the LiBAddonMenu-2.0.txt file and everything works fine this way since months. If this bothers you and "forbids the test for you" I'm seriusoly sorry. But ONLY that I've invested time to change CombatReticle to read such a nonsense here... Sorry to say but please stop this!

You know how to fix this on your own and I won't comment this anymore now. Test and enjoy or leave me alone.
02/04/19, 03:51 AM   #17
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by and View Post
I managed to play a couple of hours in Cyro, it works like a charm and I haven't noticed any issue.
I plan to test it tomorrow in PvE too.

BTW, do you need any specific test to be run?

Jolly good job!!! Many thanks
Thanks for the test. Nope, nothing in particular to test. Just use it and see if everything works as designed (before + new weapon bar colors).
If you notice any setting not working or any copy unction or theme or whatever there was before, just tell me.
02/04/19, 02:39 PM   #18
and
Thanks for the test. Nope, nothing in particular to test. Just use it and see if everything works as designed (before + new weapon bar colors).
If you notice any setting not working or any copy unction or theme or whatever there was before, just tell me.
To be honest, I was not using Combat Reticle before; I started from scratch

I have changed the basic settings for everything, including Stealth, and I have tested it in either PvE and PvP.

So far, so good!

I have noticed that the overlay doesn't inherit the new colours, I think it is by design.
It would be great to have an option to change that, unless it is really complicated.

I'll keep testing
02/04/19, 03:58 PM   #19
Drakanwulf

You are kidding me, right?
LibAddonMenu uses LiBStub from the LiBAddonMenu-2.0.txt file and everything works fine this way since months. If this bothers you and "forbids the test for you" I'm seriusoly sorry. But ONLY that I've invested time to change CombatReticle to read such a nonsense here... Sorry to say but please stop this!

You know how to fix this on your own and I won't comment this anymore now. Test and enjoy or leave me alone.
I think you may be loading Add-ons with the Out-of-Date checkbox turned on. Try turning it off and see what happens.

And no, I wasn't kidding. Open the latest LAM folder in ESOUI and check the manifest.txt file. Then check the rest of the LAM folder's contents. I believe you will find that the embedded, naked, LibStub.lua file is an out-of-date, r4 version, rather than the current, standalone, r5, version that exists in ESOUI.

My point is, if I fix LAM for myself, my fixes do not get back to ESOUI because I am not the author and because I am not the author, my changes could work for me but not for everyone else who plays the game.

I do not wish to get into an argument with you, Baertram, because I respect you, your add-ons, and your inputs into this forum. To that end, I have copied my more critical remarks from this thread and re-posted them under the LAM 2.0 add-on Comments thread for its author to review and act upon.
02/05/19, 03:38 AM   #20
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think you may be loading Add-ons with the Out-of-Date checkbox turned on. Try turning it off and see what happens.
Yes, about 99% of the users do so. I got your point but I haven't asked you to test the libraries but my work on the addon.
The "user" AND was able to test it. I doubt anyone else won't be able because of an outdated library. Most of the "users" know what outdated addons mean and what libraries are, or standalone libraries. It has been working since months now.

Thanks for bringing your "windmill fight" to the correct forum thread/comments :-)

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Combat Reticle feature