03/29/20, 12:38 AM   #1
Subotai

So, LibStub

So is LibStub no longer needed or what? Ever since a recent update, it seems like most of the mods I use that depended on LibStub started giving me problems. The LibStub page says that it is no longer needed and will not be supported any longer. So why do so many addons seem to STILL use this? Even as far as updating the mod but not removing it's dependency to LibStub. So IS LibStub needed or what?
03/29/20, 09:38 AM   #2
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LibStub hasn't been needed in probably a year (rough estimate; too lazy to check). It's just that addon authors have been slow to remove it. Any addon you're still using that depends on it: tell them they should remove it.
03/29/20, 09:44 AM   #3
sirinsidiator

Almost 2 actually. The new library system was introduced with Summerset.
03/29/20, 10:07 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post
So is LibStub no longer needed or what? Ever since a recent update, it seems like most of the mods I use that depended on LibStub started giving me problems. The LibStub page says that it is no longer needed and will not be supported any longer. So why do so many addons seem to STILL use this? Even as far as updating the mod but not removing it's dependency to LibStub. So IS LibStub needed or what?
I'm trying to inform all new devs and exisiting addons + libs since Summerset to have it removed but some are just inactive or did not see the need to remove it.
In some rare cases it might also be that LibStub will be needed if not half of the addon get#s a rework. So it might also be a time problem. But the cases where this happens are very low imo.

Now as LibStub shows the warning in the chat it might get to their attention and be removed finally
03/30/20, 06:25 PM   #5
Subotai

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve also been trying to spread the word. But...a process I suppose.
03/30/20, 07:51 PM   #6
Phinix

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Almost 2 actually. The new library system was introduced with Summerset.
Curse you for reminding me of the flying nature of time! *shakes fist*

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » So, LibStub