03/20/14, 07:29 PM   #41
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
Or you can use any voice tool (Teamspeak, etc etc) and communicate when need.

I dont deny that some players are used to those addons and can not do without them, but i am not sur it will be so hard if people learn to communicate and then adjust their play.

For now, i can only see an ESO community just good to jump at the throat of the other side.... and just for that reason i would rather have no addons authorized until people get back to a little common sense
I guess you missed the point WHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE YOU HAVE A DEBUFF... voice communication WILL NOT HELP THAT.
03/20/14, 07:56 PM   #42
snowknows
hey wyykyd, could you use the combat log and parse it for debuffs? hots and dots
03/20/14, 08:51 PM   #43
Anceane

Originally Posted by Wykkyd View Post
I guess you missed the point WHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE YOU HAVE A DEBUFF... voice communication WILL NOT HELP THAT.
(first sorry for my english, i will try to explain with good words)

Well i understand how you feel, you created something you thought would be part of the game, and something you could also be proud and suddenly this is removed, with no real warning, just because a part of the gamer community saw it all differently.
Regarding the community, you have all rights to be mad. But with the skills you have for the LUA, i am certain that with some more brainstorming you will find a way to do new *helpers* or *addons* to help the community proving to yourself and ZOS that you respect their choice but still manage to help the others to apprehend the game much better.

Regarding ZOS, do not loose sight that the fact you were part of the PTS, was a privilege given to you by the Company who created the game.
That privilege was given to you to help them to test something without promise of what will happen at the end. They are and stay at the end the only ones who can decide what they want for the game. They could even have decided to stop the game. And even if your ideas of the game are good, those are not the ones they envisionned for it.

------------------------
On the gaming part itself I understand your concern about informations and addons but i also remember :

The first time i attempted an heroic instance, discovering bosses, not knowing what will be their attacks, what to do to beat them, we had to guess, to search, and we had no addons to tell us how to act with attacks, what were the debuffs or who were targeted by those, or even if it would pop up adds.
That was all part of discovery, we died, we wiped, and we tried again and succeed. At first the combat was an all guess, then going further we understood the combat and the instance. And we had all rights to brag about it. To be the first to make it. It could take us weeks to succeed but it was great.

Then someone made an addon to alert on this part of the fight, or to help us watch this or that special attack with a huge dot, etc etc ... and the teams following had just to step in our feet and use the addons and they surely appreciate. But this was different. Another way to do the instance.

The discovering team made it no? it was long, not easy, sometimes very exhausting but we enjoyed it, as we also learned together to be a team or a raid. And we learned how to play together. No special informations, no addons.

Not that long ago i was on The secret world, and doing heroic instances, and one of the boss cast a huge dot on us, and i remember that the tactic was to count up to 7 and launch the cleanse skilll to be safe, and to rince and repeat, each time the boss would do his move and launch that particular attack.

and we had no addon no information either to help on that part, it was just a learning from fights, repeating the instance and learning again. We made it. Some others teams found even another way to do it. With no addons and no more information either.

So what is my reasonning you will say.

I think that a game can be handled differently, with addons or not, giving lots of information or not. And that not having addons or informations is not baring people to learn and discover all the ways to counter a boss. Because they analyse, imagine and succeed.

Of course, progress is part of everything and i understand that for some there is no obligation to play *the old way* when they can with LUA through API find more to go further in end game.

But above all, people should not have to fight over such matter, splitting a community as now, making people using terrible words, threatening each other.
One even suggested on FTC to put a mark near the name of those we were against the addons .... and to refuse them some access into the forums.

Dont you think it is going a bit too far?

One last thought : i wish though that ZOS will review its position and allow that little more information you are all requesting, just for the peace and pleasure of the game between all. I dont think that launching a game by splitting a whole community is good, and they have a way to please both parts, so lets hope

Last edited by Anceane : 03/20/14 at 09:22 PM. Reason: corrections
03/23/14, 10:47 AM   #44
Lodur
Originally Posted by snowknows View Post
hey wyykyd, could you use the combat log and parse it for debuffs? hots and dots
NO. There is no built-in native combat log. A combat log file can be create indirectly but only when you LOGOUT of the game. Yup, store the log in memory and write it out when you logout. That is how I currently generate a combat log for my ACT plugin.

You get no in game benefits, but you can look at things after the fact.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 3/19 ESO addon API gutted