03/21/14, 10:15 PM   #1
Phenomen
[Request \ Idea] Simple skill timer

Since API change we can't track our own HoTs and DoTs so I came up with idea of timer addon. How it works:

In addon settings you manually set timer for abilities that have HoT, DoT or other temporary effects.
Then you set hotkeys for timers (same keys as your skills) so they will activate at the same time.

Once you finish setup, this addon will show little countdown timers above skill icons so you can track your own buffs and debuffs duration. For the skills in the second action bar, countdown timers could be a little above timers of 1st skill bar. Or maybe it's even possible to position timers on skill icons?

Summary:
you press skill hotkey -> countdown timer start
if you activate skill while timer is active -> timer resets and start again
if countdown reach 0 -> timer fade out

In-game mockup:

Addons and libraries that may help:
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info53-AceTimer.html - timer events manager
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info8...Framework.html - settings menu helper

Last edited by Phenomen : 03/22/14 at 12:39 AM.
03/22/14, 02:34 AM   #2
JadeKnightblazer
Sounds / Looks like the start of a beautiful thing.
03/22/14, 09:00 AM   #3
ingeniousclown
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't have in-game PTS access so I'm not 100% sure on this, but by making the game check the details of the controls, it may be possible to save the value of each individual ability on an ability-by-ability basis and auto-load previously entered values when switching abilities or moving them around, instead of having to re-enter numbers every single time you swap or move abilities around.
03/22/14, 09:28 AM   #4
Pawkette

I'd just like to remind you, that this does not appear to be something Zenimax wants addons to be able to do.
03/22/14, 12:13 PM   #5
Nijjion
If an addon wouldn't be able to do this... there surely be a way to make something externally wouldn't there? e.g. A external program that could be told that a buff is on that key press and lasts say 20 seconds and that will show up on a 2nd screen (even overlay the game maybe).

I don't think Zenimax could stop people really in this respect.
03/22/14, 01:12 PM   #6
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by Pawkette View Post
I'd just like to remind you, that this does not appear to be something Zenimax wants addons to be able to do.
It's not our duty to try to second guess ZO.

When they say "please do not do this", only then is it off the table.
03/22/14, 01:24 PM   #7
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Nijjion View Post
If an addon wouldn't be able to do this... there surely be a way to make something externally wouldn't there? e.g. A external program that could be told that a buff is on that key press and lasts say 20 seconds and that will show up on a 2nd screen (even overlay the game maybe).

If an addon doesn't have the ability to check and use that information an external program definitely won't have. External programs are usually against the terms and conditions of using the game so I would heartily suggest that you don't even consider such an option.
03/24/14, 03:23 AM   #8
Phenomen
Originally Posted by Nijjion View Post

I already did overlay timer with AHK script, but native in-game solution would be better.
Right now I start to code addon myself but my LUA skills are subpar D:

Last edited by Phenomen : 03/24/14 at 03:32 AM.
03/24/14, 08:13 AM   #9
ingeniousclown
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
It's not our duty to try to second guess ZO.

When they say "please do not do this", only then is it off the table.
Except this isn't really second-guessing, is it? Pawkette does have a point. ZO explicitly removed the ability to track buffs, debuffs and effects and an add-on like this sneakily goes around something they've done.

That said, I've got a few add-on ideas in my backlog and if I get through those, I'll work on this idea if it hasn't been done. Even then, however, I don't plan on uploading it unless I get a thumbs-up from ZO.
03/24/14, 01:32 PM   #10
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by ingeniousclown View Post
Except this isn't really second-guessing, is it? Pawkette does have a point. ZO explicitly removed the ability to track buffs, debuffs and effects and an add-on like this sneakily goes around something they've done.
They removed the ability to know all the timers.

Seems to me that guessing your own buffs on yourself is nothing like knowing all the buffs you get from everyone else. Is it any different than counting in your head when you press a key, just without the annoying "counting in your head when you press a key" part? It seems to me that having on-screen reminders when you haven't buffed yourself is not what ZOS was trying to prevent, but that's a complete guess.

I infer their intent was to remove knowing all buffs, which threw knowing self-buffs under the bus. But the fact that ZOS's reasoning can be so radically different shows why we cannot go around second guessing why, lacking a clear statement. ZOS has the ability to make a simple statement to the addon authors. They also have the ability to remove API calls. They could've easily made a statement, but chose not to (as far as I know), and that means it's not our duty to second-guess what they want. My guess could be completely wrong, but unless they clarify their reasoning, we can't make that assumption.

That's all I'm saying.
03/24/14, 05:04 PM   #11
timidobserver
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
They removed the ability to know all the timers.

Seems to me that guessing your own buffs on yourself is nothing like knowing all the buffs you get from everyone else. Is it any different than counting in your head when you press a key, just without the annoying "counting in your head when you press a key" part? It seems to me that having on-screen reminders when you haven't buffed yourself is not what ZOS was trying to prevent, but that's a complete guess.

I infer their intent was to remove knowing all buffs, which threw knowing self-buffs under the bus. But the fact that ZOS's reasoning can be so radically different shows why we cannot go around second guessing why, lacking a clear statement. ZOS has the ability to make a simple statement to the addon authors. They also have the ability to remove API calls. They could've easily made a statement, but chose not to (as far as I know), and that means it's not our duty to second-guess what they want. My guess could be completely wrong, but unless they clarify their reasoning, we can't make that assumption.

That's all I'm saying.
I have to agree. ZOS has demonstrated the ability to deal with addons that they don't like.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request \ Idea] Simple skill timer