06/24/14, 09:29 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Saved Variables Bug and AddOns ToU

Okay, we have a couple more important things to let you guys know about that have resulted from the patch:

First, it seems that there has been a change (we think bug, but getting that verified) to the Saved Variables files, which includes your AddOns settings. Previously they were saved under your ["@username"]. It seems that they are saved under [""] now. What this means is that if you log into the game without having made the necessary change in your files, and if you didn't keep a backup of them, all your addon settings will be reverted to the default settings. If you haven't yet logged in, or if you have a backup of them, there is a fix you can use. All you need to do is:
  • Go to your Documents folder (the same one that you had to use to install your addons)
  • Go to your Elder Scrolls folder
  • Go to your Live folder
  • Go to your SavedVariables folder
  • MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FOLDER!
  • You should see a listing of files for each addon you used. They will be named [AddOnName].lua
  • You can open those files using any text editor (I'd say just use NotePad). Right click the file name, choose Open With and pick whatever editor you want to use
  • Somewhere close to the top of the .lua file will be a line that says ["@Username"]
  • Change that to replace ["@Username"] with [""].
  • Save and close.
Do this for each of the addon .lua files that you have in that folder. Once you've done all of them, you should be able to log into the game and not lose all your settings now.

If it turns out that this was a bug introduced with this patch and Zenimax reverts it, you'll be able to just drop your backup of the SavedVariables folder back in and be all set again. You did make the backup we told you to make, right?!

Next, Zenimax has added an AddOn Terms of Use to the game. If you want to use AddOns in the game, you will need to agree to it before you can use them. The first time you click on the AddOns button in game it will bring the agreement up for you to accept. It reads as follows:

ADD-ON TERMS

ADD-ONS
The creation and use of Add-ons are subject to the Add-on Terms of Use, available below and at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/add-on-terms. Among other things, the Add-on Terms of Use specify that:
  • ZOS is not responsible for any Add-ons, or the Game if You download and/or use an Add-on; YOU USE THESE AT YOUR OWN RISK;
  • ZOS will not provide customer support on any Add-ons or Your Game product if You download and/or use an Add-on. Disable all Add-ons prior to contacting Customer Service;
  • Your Game may not function properly as a result of downloading and/or using Add-ons.
  • Any Add-ons and/or files that appear to be Add-ons that You download could contain malicious code that could affect Your system. ZOS is not responsible for any such malicious code or the performance of Your system as a result of such malicious code;
  • ZOS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE API AT ANY TIME, OR TO DISABLE AND/OR RESTRICT ANY ADD-ONS AT ANY TIME; and
  • If you create an Add-on, You must include the following disclosure in a Readme or similar .txt file: "This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved."
As a reminder, Your use of the Game is subject to the Terms of Service available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service, Privacy Policy available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/privacy-policy, and the Code of Conduct available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/code-of-conduct, and supplemented by the End User License Agreement available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/eula. The Add-on Terms of Use is a "Supplemental Terms" as defined in the Terms of Service and are incorporated by reference.

ADD-ON TERMS OF USE
These Add-on Terms of Use ("Add-on Terms of Use") are entered into by and between ZeniMax Online Studios LLC ("ZOS") and You, an individual ("You" and "Your"), and govern Your creation and/or use of any Add-ons. These Add-on Terms of Use are Supplemental Terms to the Terms of Service ("Terms of Service", available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service and together with any other Supplemental Terms, including, but not limited to, the Privacy Policy available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/privacy-policy, and Code of Conduct available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/code-of-conduct, collectively, the "Agreement"). The Agreement is supplemented by the End User License Agreement available at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/eula. Any capitalized terms not otherwise defined herein shall have the meanings given to them in the Terms of Service.

As part of the ongoing Services provided to You, ZOS will make available an application programming interface (the "API") to allow You to create, download, enable, use, or associate Content, including user-generated Content ("UGC"), that modifies or otherwise provides enhanced features to the user interface ("Add-ons") for The Elder Scrolls® Online software-as-a-service product purchased by You (the "Game").

The creation, download, enabling, use and/or association of the API and/or any Add-ons is on a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK basis. As with all Content, including UGC, all uses of the API and any Add-ons are for Your own personal, non-commercial use solely in connection with the Game, subject to the terms and conditions of the Terms of Service, including these Add-on Terms of Use. Your use of the API, creation of any Add-ons through the API, and/or the enablement of any Add-ons in the Game each constitutes Your acceptance of these Add-on Terms of Use. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE ADD-ON TERMS OF USE, DO NOT USE THE API OR CREATE, DOWNLOAD, ENABLE, USE OR ASSOCIATE ANY ADD-ONS WITH YOUR GAME.
1. RESTRICTIONS ON USE

ZOS grants a limited license right for personal, private, non-commercial, non-transferable, and limited use governed by the Terms of Service, including the Add-on Terms of Use, to distribute Add-ons You create to other authorized users who have purchased the Game, solely for use with such users’ own authorized copies of the Game and in accordance with and subject to the terms and conditions of the Agreement, including the Add-on Terms of Use, and all applicable laws. You agree that any Add-on distributed to other Game users will include the following disclosure in a Readme or similar .txt file, “This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved.” You agree that in its sole discretion and without notice, ZOS reserves the right to modify, restrict, or disable any Add-ons, including any You have enabled, without notice, at any time and for any or no reason, including, but not limited to, (i) direct and indirect violations of the Rules of Conduct, as described in the Terms of Service; (ii) evidence of commercial gain or attribution, including game exploitation; (iii) undue or unfair burden to the Game, its Services, including customer service support, and/or to other users.

2. DISCLAIMERS

IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS AS SET FORTH IN THE TERMS OF SERVICE, AND TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE USE OF ADD-ONS IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED ANY ADD-ONS ON YOUR MACHINE. ZOS CUSTOMER SERVICE SHALL HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT WITH RESPECT TO THE API OR ANY ADD-ONS, OR TO PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT RELATED TO THE GAME IF AN ADD-ON IS ENABLED IN YOUR GAME’S USER INTERFACE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ADD-ONS MAY NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY FOR ANY OR NO REASON, AND THAT ZOS SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ENSURING THE PERFORMANCE OF ANY ADD-ONS OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE GAME WHEN AN ADD-ON IS ENABLED. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ENABLING AN ADD-ON CAN AFFECT AND/OR CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER, SOFTWARE, GAME, AND/OR ACCOUNT TO FUNCTION IMPROPERLY.

WITH RESPECT TO ANY ADD-ON THAT IS DOWNLOADED ON OR OVER THE INTERNET, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE FILES FOR SUCH ADD-ONS MAY CONTAIN SPYWARE, MALWARE, VIRUSES OR OTHER MALICIOUS CODE THAT COULD AFFECT YOUR COMPUTER OR SYSTEM(S). YOU AGREE THAT ZOS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH MALICIOUS CODE CONTAINED IN AN ADD-ON OR ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS TO YOUR COMPUTER OR SYSTEMS CAUSED BY AN ADD-ON (WHETHER DUE TO MALICIOUS CODE OR OTHERWISE). USE OF THE INTERNET, INCLUDING THE DOWNLOAD OF FILES FROM THE INTERNET, IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND FILES SHOULD ONLY BE DOWNLOADED FROM SOURCES TRUSTED BY YOU.

3. ENTIRE AGREEMENT

Except as set forth in this Section, if there is any conflict between the Terms of Service, a EULA and any Supplemental Terms, You acknowledge and agree that, for the purposes of the Add-on Terms of Use, the terms and conditions shall govern in the following order of precedence: (i) Terms of Service; (ii) the applicable EULA; (iii) the Add-on Terms of Use; and (iv) the applicable Code of Conduct.
Source

Authors, make particular note of the sixth bullet point:
  • If you create an Add-on, You must include the following disclosure in a Readme or similar .txt file: "This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved."

Last edited by Cairenn : 06/25/14 at 12:07 AM.
06/25/14, 01:32 AM   #2
CrazyDutchGuy

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
zzz disclosures. Guess we have to add a readme
06/25/14, 03:02 AM   #3
zgrssd
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
First, it seems that there has been a change (we think bug, but getting that verified) to the Saved Variables files, which includes your AddOns settings. Previously they were saved under your ["@username"]. It seems that they are saved under [""] now. What this means is that if you log into the game without having made the necessary change in your files, and if you didn't keep a backup of them, all your addon settings will be reverted to the default settings.
I just looked at my pre-patch ZO_Ingame.lua
It already used the "" marker instead of the @username

There might actually be something intentional to resetting the files. I mean UTC does itterate over stuff like the ChatCategories, thier count might have changed so the old data is no longer valid.
I do not actually mind them resetting UTC's saved var file. I might actually do that intentionally for the saved data when I update it.

zzz disclosures. Guess we have to add a readme
I hope they fixed the issue that the game would treat any .txt file lying next to a Manifest file as another manifest file.
06/25/14, 05:00 AM   #4
Flamage

FYI to other addon developers, it also appears that ZOS has introduced a limit on the maximum size of strings stored in saved variables. If your string is longer than (guessing, not verified) 2048 characters, it will be replaced with something like
Code:
["showTitle"] = true,
["body"] = nil -- invalid string value,
["medium"] = 0,
Unfortunately, because the comma is also commented, if there is another table value on the following line, the it will be missing a preceding comma and the parser will be unable to read your saved variables, and so on the second logout, the entire file will be overwritten with an empty one.
06/25/14, 08:12 AM   #5
SilverWF

Dumb Zenimax, they are ruined all my pleasure from game!
06/25/14, 08:50 AM   #6
niocwy
I'm not able to find out right now because I haven't finished downloading, but is there an issue when multiple accounts log in onto on machine ?
06/25/14, 09:13 AM   #7
dominoid
Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
FYI to other addon developers, it also appears that ZOS has introduced a limit on the maximum size of strings stored in saved variables. If your string is longer than (guessing, not verified) 2048 characters, it will be replaced with something like
Code:
["showTitle"] = true,
["body"] = nil -- invalid string value,
["medium"] = 0,
Unfortunately, because the comma is also commented, if there is another table value on the following line, the it will be missing a preceding comma and the parser will be unable to read your saved variables, and so on the second logout, the entire file will be overwritten with an empty one.
I think this is a separate problem in that text used to be stored between double brackets - [[SOME TEXT]] and is now stored between double quotes - "SOME TEXT"
06/25/14, 10:08 AM   #8
DuchessOfKvetch
I was able to "fix" the X4dChat mod just by commenting out the affected line, which doesn't seem to include code used anywhere else. But it included a reference to a global called "CHAT_CATEGORY_OUTGOING" which apparently no longer exists?
06/25/14, 10:49 AM   #9
SinusPi
Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
I think this is a separate problem in that text used to be stored between double brackets - [[SOME TEXT]] and is now stored between double quotes - "SOME TEXT"
Actually that's an improvement, because you CAN escape a double quote in a double-quoted string, "blah\"blah", while there is no way to escape a closing squacket in a squacket-enclosed string, blah[1] becomes [[blah[1]]] and blows up.

I mean, it WOULD be an improvement, if done right...
06/25/14, 12:10 PM   #10
niocwy
Originally Posted by niocwy View Post
I'm not able to find out right now because I haven't finished downloading, but is there an issue when multiple accounts log in onto on machine ?
Okay download just finished.

There's no more separation between multiples accounts in the savedVars. Just the one [""] table, under which are the characters settings and only one accountWide table.

Last edited by niocwy : 06/25/14 at 12:16 PM.
06/25/14, 01:02 PM   #11
zgrssd
Originally Posted by niocwy View Post
Okay download just finished.

There's no more separation between multiples accounts in the savedVars. Just the one [""] table, under which are the characters settings and only one accountWide table.
Before the patch we had user addons with seperation by account ("@accountname") while the ZO_ingame.lua used ("").
After the patch all the user addons use "" while ZO_ingame.lua is seperated by account ("@accountname").

That does imply the non-seperation of the ZO_ingame file was a bug. And when trying to fix it they flipped it around so now all user addons are affected isntead. I guess it was not that planned after all.

On the other hand, if we can now do account seperation via code this would allow for limited cross account communication.
But I figure this is a bug that will be fixed (unfortunately that fix means one more reset of the data in the future).
06/25/14, 01:51 PM   #12
SkOODaT

arrrg i dont know what to do lol i run ALOT of addons like ALOT and i really dont want to edit 100 plus saved vars i REALLY hope this is a bug LMFAO
06/25/14, 02:09 PM   #13
Sharlikran

This has been known for a while that when a patch is released this can happen. It didn't start with this patch however, I've never seen it last this long. It also happens when they disable some of the in game social features. When TESO will start reporting the name again remains to be seen.
06/25/14, 02:12 PM   #14
SkOODaT

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
This has been known for a while that when a patch is released this can happen. It didn't start with this patch however, I've never seen it last this long. It also happens when they disable some of the in game social features. When TESO will start reporting the name again remains to be seen.
in this case something is either bugged or thiers been change its not because services etc NA server has been up 24 hours plus now and all services are up and running
06/25/14, 02:55 PM   #15
Anceane

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Authors, make particular note of the sixth bullet point:

I am not author, but i use an addon from an author who left, and as so far it did not broke, i keep using it because this is the only one doing what i want, so to name it its Pawksickles (it changes the whole set of police of the game).

So considering the above disclosure, should i add it myself to continue to use it? and if so, where should i insert it ? in the .txt already in the folder? or into the main lua?
Or should i do nothing

Thank you
06/25/14, 03:09 PM   #16
SkOODaT

Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
I am not author, but i use an addon from an author who left, and as so far it did not broke, i keep using it because this is the only one doing what i want, so to name it its Pawksickles (it changes the whole set of police of the game).

So considering the above disclosure, should i add it myself to continue to use it? and if so, where should i insert it ? in the .txt already in the folder? or into the main lua?
Or should i do nothing

Thank you
end users Don't half to worry about adding this its for authors that wish to release addons for others, need the disclaimer included with thier download
06/25/14, 03:22 PM   #17
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
Lucky for me all of the newer versions of my addons that were converted to standalone use a new Saved Variables process that didn't rely on your "@name" any longer, so most of them should be perfectly fine after this update. (I say this while not having had the chance to actually test it yet, thanks to my day job).

See this if you want to see through my crystal ball: http://www.esoui.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=17

Last edited by Wykkyd : 06/25/14 at 03:30 PM.
06/25/14, 07:34 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
I've considered writing up a tutorial on saved variables without using the extra layer of API, but haven't had time.
06/25/14, 08:36 PM   #19
Flamage

I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know this was possible, and yet it seems so obvious now.
06/25/14, 11:02 PM   #20
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
I think I may consider this option when I rewrite the saved variable layout in version 2 of my gatherer.

ESOUI » Site Forums » News » Saved Variables Bug and AddOns ToU