06/07/21, 06:53 PM   #1
HSBS_User

Much needed changes to default border textures on icons

These are the main offenders right here....

Gap Toothed default square icon border / Gold dialogue border

Round skill borders / Pointy end progress bar border

I'm referring to all instances and possible display's of an icon. Some examples are: ability bars/ skills window/ in game prompts containing an icon (activate synergy/ new piece of a particular set learned etc...) All these icons use that low effort, weak lookin gap toothed flimsy border

This Addon, "Cab" did everything but the gold dialogue borders and pointy end progress bar textures. My abilities with lua are super limited here, so looking at the code- it seems super basic. As Baertram suggested in an earlier question around this topic, all it is: RedirectTexture function. However, it seems the old texture hooks no longer work for a start, unsure what else is needed to resuscitate Cab.

Could you guys point me in some kinda direction here lol? How can I get the names of the .dds files in question to replace given "passiveabilityframe_round_down.dds" and "abilityframe64_down.dds" etc... apparently aren't applying to the skills window or ingame prompts/ text containing icons?
06/07/21, 07:18 PM   #2
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If the attached file doesn't do what the author intended, then I won't have time to make additional changes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CleanActionBarBorders.zip (9.4 KB, 241 views)
06/07/21, 07:59 PM   #3
HSBS_User

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
The attached file .
Wow! well you're the man

How did you do it? looks like you got everything (perfect pixel handled the tooltip border problem for me) appears like the only differences are with the textures, updated lib statement, and a few less indents in the code (cant imagine the latter makes any difference?) works like an absolute charm now though.

Only question I have now is: other than taking the new textures into ps to change the color, is there a way to add a color criteria to the RedirectTexture? borders are a bit bright. totally ok with just editing the texture, just curious if it can be done through code.
06/07/21, 09:29 PM   #4
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
I like! Thank you, Sharlikran! <3
06/08/21, 07:12 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nope, RedirectTexture simply redirects the texture and is not able to change a color. The color needs to be changed AT EACH control (e.g. textureControlContainingACircle:SetColor(r, g, b, a)) which means you need to find out each control to change and change it via lua calls.
That's far too much work anyone would like to do. At best you create .dds textures with the correct values you want to see ingame and test them there.

But if e.g. the ingame control is setup by default to change the alpha / opacity to 0.8 (1 is non-see-through) you cannot fix this unlesss you find out the correct control name and use :SetAlpha(1) on it again. Same relates to colors. If the ingame control was set to use SetColor(1, 0, 0, 1) it will just make the texture red. No matetr what your standard .dds texture will look like.

appears like the only differences are with the textures, updated lib statement, and a few less indents in the code (cant imagine the latter makes any difference?)
Sure, what else would be needed?
If the texture paths changed you cannot redirect a non exisitng texture path to a new existing one. As the old cannot be found it will never be used any where. So the texture paths need to be the correct ones.
You can spy them from the gams source code by using the tool "Black Book Browser", search for .dds files in it.

Libraris also are a big problem if included and old -> settings do not work or whole addons cannot run properly. Could have been the reason why the addon did nothing. Remove alll libs of old addons "libs" subfolder and install them to live/AddOns "once" (single source of truth) should fix most of these issues. Maybe you need to add the libs to the addon's manifest txt file, via ## DependsOn: LibName1 LibName2 in order to load them before the addon.

And no, indents should not matter. Line braks could if placed wrong inside variable/function names, destroying the known name

Last edited by Baertram : 06/08/21 at 07:16 AM.
06/08/21, 03:00 PM   #6
HSBS_User

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
...RedirectTexture not able to change a color... ...the tool "Black Book Browser", search for .dds files in it...

Thanks for the clarification there Baertam. I just went with modifying the dds to be darker lol. Trying to set each instance with a color call is a laughably heroic endeavor (not one I'm willing to embark on). Good reminder about outdated libraries as well. Very interested in Black Book Browser, thank you kindly for the recommendation!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Much needed changes to default border textures on icons