04/25/14, 06:25 AM   #1
Vizeroh
[Request] Quest 'Finder' / Locator

It'd be really awesome if there was an AddOn that displays, just like Skyshards, and Lorebooks does, the location of where a quest is at. Right now I'm at a lost where to find some missing zone quests. I've been all over the map, clearly I'm missing a corner, or something isn't spawning correctly, but it'd be nice.
08/17/14, 06:56 AM   #2
Lucifer66
Yeah, This is an old post and I didn't want to post a new one but I think I know what the OP meant but never got a reply to.

I want this too. A quest tracker that show quests you HAVE NOT DONE YET. See I'm going back to complete quests in some zones that I missed for the achievments and as you may or may not know they are really hard to locate. You can spend hours or even days wandering around trying to find them and it would be awsome to have an addon that simply checks against a list of ones you have completed against ones you have not started.

I think the quests tracker addons available should be able to be modified to make this happen since, I think, they check against some list to guide you through the quests, don't they? With everyone wanting to get more achivements now to get the new dyes and this is one of them, I think this is something we all can use.

What do you authors think? Can you make something like this? Or is it just too much hassle and are we all doomed to keep wandering aimlessly around searching for these missing quests?
08/17/14, 07:04 AM   #3
Garkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think it is easy to find all quests you need if you are using addon Destinations. It will mark all unexplored point of interest on your map.

If you really want leveling guide which will leads you through all quests in the area, try Zygor's Leveling Guide.
08/17/14, 08:45 AM   #4
Lucifer66
Well that might be good, expet I've already been all over the zone. That addon showed nothing. What I need is something that pointed me right to the quests that I haven't done yet. Is that not possible?

Last edited by Lucifer66 : 08/17/14 at 08:49 AM.
08/17/14, 02:38 PM   #5
Tonyleila

Originally Posted by Lucifer66 View Post
Well that might be good, expet I've already been all over the zone. That addon showed nothing. What I need is something that pointed me right to the quests that I haven't done yet. Is that not possible?
This can't be... Destinations shows a red cross everywhere where you have not been and compleded all quest. Also if the Icons on your map are still filled black instead of white it shows you have not compleated all quests there. Go to that place and look at your compass for a Quest symbol
08/18/14, 06:06 AM   #6
Lucifer66
I don't see anything on my map that wasn't there before. I looked in the option and it says it will place an X over map icons that I haven't visited. Well I see no Xs anywhere. OK look I'm a level V2 and I came back to a level 30-35 area to complete quests that I had not done before for the achievement. I'm missing 2 quests in the zone from the first time around so I have been all over the map and somehow missed 2.

That is why I wanted an addon that shows all the quests I not done yet. Still no one answered my question I have been asking from the start.

Can someone make an addon or modify a quest tracker that shows the quests you have not completed. Is it possible?

I appreciate the help, but it seems to me one that does specifically what I asked for would be much more efficient for the task at hand. Since quest trackers use a list of quests it seems to me a simple modifcation could be made to make them show the ones you have not done yet on the map.

Last edited by Lucifer66 : 08/18/14 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
08/18/14, 11:25 AM   #7
Randactyl
I don't see anything on my map that wasn't there before. I looked in the option and it says it will place an X over map icons that I haven't visited. Well I see no Xs anywhere. OK look I'm a level V2 and I came back to a level 30-35 area to complete quests that I had not done before for the achievement. I'm missing 2 quests in the zone from the first time around so I have been all over the map and somehow missed 2.

That is why I wanted an addon that shows all the quests I not done yet. Still no one answered my question I have been asking from the start.

Can someone make an addon or modify a quest tracker that shows the quests you have not completed. Is it possible?

I appreciate the help, but it seems to me one that does specifically what I asked for would be much more efficient for the task at hand. Since quest trackers use a list of quests it seems to me a simple modifcation could be made to make them show the ones you have not done yet on the map.
Quest trackers take the information for a quest you have already accepted out of your journal and display it in a more "meaningful" way - usually in an interactible list overlaid on the game world. They do not deal with information about quests you have not found/accepted because there is no way for them to know from the information provided by the game what/where they are.

It is possible to create an addon to display map pins for all of the quests in the game, however it would require the author (and possibly a group of helpers) to meticulously play through the entire game and log the relevant coordinates of where all quest givers are standing in the world. Then other problems pop up. What do you do about quest givers that follow you? What do you do about quests that are skippable/missable? What do you do about quests that can be started from multiple different areas? What do you do about repeatable quests?

Now, is it worth the effort to create such an addon given tools already availible? In my opinion, this answer is no as correct use of an addon like Destinations, correct reading of the zone maps (black pin - not complete, white pin - complete), and the tiniest bit of exploration is more than enough to complete the achievements with room to spare.

It would also help a bit if you actually named the zone you are having trouble in; then maybe someone could give you a pointer on an often overlooked area. As someone who has played through and completed the questing achievements for each zone - even before some of the achievements had their requirements lowered - I can tell you that there are more quests than the number required to complete the zone's achievement.

Now, for a tip: most areas within a zone have a main objective that can be one or a small series of quests and a side objective that is usually only one quest. The area's map pin will be marked complete when the main objective is completed regardless of progress on the side objective. There are also quite a few delves that have a quest given inside of them, all public dungeons have at least one quest. and all group dungeons have two quests (sub 50 and VR levels).
08/18/14, 11:45 AM   #8
Fyrakin

The only way to tell which quest you haven't done yet is to track every single quest you finished from certain point just right after you enter the new zone, or more like right after creating character. That mans you would need to have this kind of add-on ready to use before starting new character. Current api doesn't have functionality to get information for quests you allready finished.
08/18/14, 02:08 PM   #9
Sasky
Also, if you're wanting this for the achievement, keep in mind most zones have at least 4 quests (even up to 10!) beyond the number required for the quest achievement. Going to all the solo dungeons, the public dungeon, and all quest hubs listed on Undiscovered or Destinations should get you there. For the achievement, it doesn't matter if you miss a couple small ones not at quest areas. For xp, those small ones are a pittance, equal to only a couple mob kills.
08/18/14, 07:14 PM   #10
Tonyleila

I don't see anything on my map that wasn't there before. I looked in the option and it says it will place an X over map icons that I haven't visited. Well I see no Xs anywhere.
In the options menu you have to change the icon to a RED X to its easy to see on the map else its a black or white cross.

If there is still nothing to see on the map I guess you have turned off the filters for it at the map:
08/19/14, 10:48 AM   #11
Lucifer66
Yes, mine is set the same way only my pins are at 30 and my Xs should be Asghaard's black. My map filter I think is the same, it's in english, but the unkown POI box is checked. There are no Xs anywhere on the map so I have probably been to the location and just didn't pick up the quest when I was there the first time.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] Quest 'Finder' / Locator