12/27/16, 01:33 PM   #1
Atlan

Minion doesn't start on macOS sierra

Hi,

macOS Sierra is out for a few month now and I was hoping I would not have to write bug reports like this any more But here we go: after upgrading to macOS sierra Minion won't start any more.

That is: The application starts, does nothing for a while not even opening the main window and then ends.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion.log (243.7 KB, 549 views)
File Type: xml minion.xml (4.4 KB, 616 views)
12/27/16, 05:02 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Very strange, the log shows that somthing is telling Minion to close...

Code:
DEBUG 2016-12-27 20:32:15,995 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:stop(98): Close called.
DEBUG 2016-12-27 20:32:15,995 [Thread-7] gg.minion.MinionShutdownHook:run(21): Shutdown hook called.
I'm running sierra myself and haven't had any issues.

Could you move or rename your ~/.minion/minion.xml ? Does it load up ok now?
12/27/16, 05:06 PM   #3
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Also try opening the applications folder and right clicking the Minion icon and choose 'Open'. Maybe macos needs permission again from you to load an un-signed application?

Last edited by Dolby : 12/27/16 at 05:15 PM.
12/31/16, 05:31 PM   #4
Atlan

I thinik if it is another problem of the DejaVu fonts. They are problematic on macOS.
02/16/17, 02:50 PM   #5
shijunplays
Not resolved

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem, with the exact same error in the logs. I do believe this has something to do with the fonts as well, but I couldn't manage to fix it myself. Restoring the fonts through the font book didn't help...

Help?
02/16/17, 03:04 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by shijunplays View Post
Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem, with the exact same error in the logs. I do believe this has something to do with the fonts as well, but I couldn't manage to fix it myself. Restoring the fonts through the font book didn't help...

Help?
What I posted wasn't an error in the log, it was just showing Minion was told to shut down. Do you have any actual errors in your minion.log? If you're not sure post it here.

Are you running a custom font in MacOS 10.12.3? I never heard of this being an issue other than Atlan posting about DejaVu fonts.
02/16/17, 03:15 PM   #7
shijunplays
Code:
DEBUG 2017-02-16 21:45:54,596 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:open(311): Starting new Minion instance.
DEBUG 2017-02-16 21:45:54,641 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:stop(98): Close called.
DEBUG 2017-02-16 21:45:54,641 [Thread-7] gg.minion.MinionShutdownHook:run(21): Shutdown hook called.
This is precisely what I'm getting.

I'm using Font Explorer Pro to sort my custom fonts, but I've restored my fonts to standard with Mac OS's font book. Several topics on the internet recommended to do that with similar errors.
More details from the terminal when launching the jar:

Code:
Exception in Application start method
Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.sun.javafx.font.MacFontFinder.populateFontFileNameMap(MacFontFinder.java:99)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFullNameToFileMap(PrismFontFactory.java:1717)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFontResource(PrismFontFactory.java:680)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.FallbackResource.getSlotResource(FallbackResource.java:282)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismCompositeFontResource.getSlotResource(PrismCompositeFontResource.java:78)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.CompositeGlyphMapper.getSlotMapper(CompositeGlyphMapper.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.CompositeGlyphMapper.convertToGlyph(CompositeGlyphMapper.java:95)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.CompositeGlyphMapper.getGlyphCode(CompositeGlyphMapper.java:151)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.CharToGlyphMapper.charsToGlyphs(CharToGlyphMapper.java:84)
	at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.shape(PrismTextLayout.java:865)
	at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.layout(PrismTextLayout.java:1064)
	at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.ensureLayout(PrismTextLayout.java:223)
	at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.getBounds(PrismTextLayout.java:246)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.Utils.computeTextWidth(Utils.java:118)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.LabeledSkinBase.computeMinLabeledPartWidth(LabeledSkinBase.java:665)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.LabeledSkinBase.computeMinWidth(LabeledSkinBase.java:633)
	at javafx.scene.control.Control.computeMinWidth(Control.java:481)
	at javafx.scene.Parent.minWidth(Parent.java:930)
	at javafx.scene.layout.Region.minWidth(Region.java:1380)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.LabeledSkinBase.computeMinLabeledPartWidth(LabeledSkinBase.java:677)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.LabeledSkinBase.computeMinWidth(LabeledSkinBase.java:633)
	at javafx.scene.control.Control.computeMinWidth(Control.java:481)
	at javafx.scene.Parent.minWidth(Parent.java:930)
	at javafx.scene.layout.Region.minWidth(Region.java:1380)
	at javafx.scene.layout.Region.computeChildPrefAreaWidth(Region.java:1725)
	at javafx.scene.layout.HBox.getAreaWidths(HBox.java:457)
	at javafx.scene.layout.HBox.layoutChildren(HBox.java:627)
	at javafx.scene.Parent.layout(Parent.java:1074)
	at javafx.scene.Parent.layout(Parent.java:1080)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.doLayoutPass(Scene.java:532)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePulseListener.pulse(Scene.java:2363)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit.lambda$runPulse$28(Toolkit.java:314)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit$$Lambda$259/1504906218.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit.runPulse(Toolkit.java:313)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit.firePulse(Toolkit.java:340)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.pulse(QuantumToolkit.java:451)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.pulse(QuantumToolkit.java:431)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.lambda$runToolkit$363(QuantumToolkit.java:298)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$$Lambda$42/50660745.run(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
02/16/17, 04:04 PM   #8
shijunplays
Do you happen to know what font could be conflicting in the use of Minion?
02/16/17, 04:46 PM   #9
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Minion uses the font Droid Sans and also FontAwesome for icons. When working on the UI I tried out many different fonts and never ran into a problem that cause Minion to stop.

I'll share that NPE error with our java developer and see if he can maybe give us a hint.
02/16/17, 06:03 PM   #10
shijunplays
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Minion uses the font Droid Sans and also FontAwesome for icons. When working on the UI I tried out many different fonts and never ran into a problem that cause Minion to stop.

I'll share that NPE error with our java developer and see if he can maybe give us a hint.
Thank you! I'll try to play around with the two fonts you've mentioned and see if I can find something to do locally.
02/17/17, 12:18 PM   #11
Atlan

Unhappy Font Deinstallation.

Help?
I had to de-install the DejaVu and Helvetica Condensed fonts. You find the custom installed front in ~/Library/Fonts .

It's a bit of a pain really.
02/17/17, 12:25 PM   #12
Atlan

Do you happen to know what font could be conflicting in the use of Minion?
Yes, DejaVu:
06/08/17, 08:07 AM   #13
shijunplays
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post

Any hint on that problem? I'm afraid I'm still encountering it today…

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion doesn't start on macOS sierra