Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/26/14, 03:50 PM   #56
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer View Post
With ZAM Stats it's a matter of opinion. The author could have distributed it as a library. There is absolutely nothing preventing him from doing so. We seem to both agree that's an exception and he really shouldn't have. Whether we call a framework a special type of library that is in no way a library or makes not a bit of difference to the point. My point is that the standard should be whether a user directly interacts with the addon independent of any addon using it. ZAM Stats is a prime example of that. You have configuration options that apply to all addons. It makes no sense to have 20 paths to that because you have 20 panels installed. It only makes intuitive sense to a user to configure those 20 panels through one addon that is ZAM Stats. My opinion though is it's a library, a framework is a library, a particular type of library. One of the two types of libraries it is preferable a developer distribute standalone. Physically large ones being the other exception.
I am the author of ZAM Stats. ZAM Stats is an independent addon. The user interacts directly with ZAM Stats. It has 3 base modules, and allows for more to be added. I'm starting to think that you haven't looked at how the addon works or even used it. Just because something has an API, doesn't mean it's a library. Just because something is modular, doesn't mean it's a library.

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer View Post
I didn't know that about saved variables. Personally, it shouldn't be so. The only that should be accessible is what an addon should see. I would love to hear a compelling argument for not using those functions because arrogance is the only reason I can think of. I've been a programmer for 30 years and I've certainly engaged in my fair share of arrogance and been bitten in ass for it many times as well. Putting it in assembler seemed a good idea at the time, but ten years down road the guy stuck supporting it calls me about it and it doesn't seem such a good idea any more.
It's not arrogance. It's how the game works. All the API does is allow for what the ZOS devs wanted to use for their profile support. These functions weren't even in the released API, they were dug out. If I wanted to create my options on my own rather than use LAM, you wouldn't call that arrogance, for example.