View Single Post
02/05/15, 04:14 AM   #13
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Many good ideas! Keep 'em coming

I like the idea of using templates to change the style.
How about allowing two levels of customization?
  1. Allow the user to download additional style packages that change the default look of libAddonMenu
  2. Give addon devs a way to change the look of their own settings panel
That should cover all the things that where proposed so far and allow them without the need to update the main lib for every change in style.

For the settings I will have to use one of the methods proposed here.
  • Using the ingame savedvars to store the settings requires minimal change, but at the same time feels a bit wrong because it puts library related stuff in a file that is not owned by it.
  • Putting libAddonMenu into a standalone addon might look a bit inconvenient at first glance, but it would also open a few new possibilities.
    • Enables saved vars
    • Removes the need to bundle it with other addons and update every addon when a new version is released
    • Changes the load order so that the newest version of libAddonMenu is loaded first
    • Which in turn prevents problems like this

We could also add some kind of version check that allows us to put out a warning when libAddonMenu has not been updated and an addon requires a newer version.

edit: forgot about the subcategories...
I don't like them either. I think addon specific things should stay on the right side of the menu.
Maybe we can use tabs instead?

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 02/05/15 at 04:19 AM.