View Single Post
03/29/15, 12:03 AM   #4
circonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by esocurious View Post
I don't quite understand your answer, what does it being an MMORPG have to do with things not being balanced? Howcome they can balance Mobas, and RTS games, what is so out there about MMO's that it cant be balanced?
I mean I understand that RPG's are kind of progression, and gear based, and this guy over here with a better sword has a better chance of winning, but am mainly talking about skills.
Some games, lets say counter-strike for example...The counter-Terrorists may have an xxx sniper rifle and the terrorists have yyy sniper rifle, they have different names, different textures (looks), different sounds, but its pretty much the exact same gun, so its balanced. Same for all of the weapons.

In MMO's one of the attractive features is having multiple (different) races/classes/skill lines to progress in, exc... which increase the replay value. Lots of people want to try out different races, classes, skill lines, builds, exc.. If every race/class/skill line was the same no one would care nor want to play through different characters or try out different builds. But in trying to create these unique races/classes/skill lines it makes it very difficult to keep things balanced.

The replay value of games like counter-strike do not henge on doing something different everytime, its more of a skill challenge, you keep playing to improve & because its fun. Heck all you do is play the same maps over & over & over forever....but no one cares its fun !!! So games like that don't suffer (as much) from balance issues because its easier to keep things balanced when its not necessary for everyone to have unique stuff (weapons, skills, exc..).

Anyhow, thats just my opinion on it.