04/16/15, 12:18 PM   #1
blakbird

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Chat window reskinning addon issues

Using the code everyone helped me write to hide the action bar button borders, I wrote a bunch of texture swaps for all of the elements of the chat window to get rid of the beige textured icons and replace them with flat, white icons. The normal "up" states and pressed "down" states all work just fine. Here is where I have issues that I don't have the knowledge to fix:

1. I want to replace the "over" states (when the mouse hovers over the buttons) with a blue version of the white icons I have made, but the way it currently works is that when you hover over the buttons, the "up" texture is displayed as well as the "over" texture(which is just a glow around the "up" texture). Is it possible to only display the blue "over" texture I made instead of showing both textures at the same time?

2. I replaced the mail "glow" with a green version of the mail icon to show when you have unread mail. That works fine, but when I replaced the chat notification "glow" with a green version to show you have an unread notification, it displays, the normal "up" texture, the green "glow" texture (inflated and behind the "up" texture) and it shows an animation, possibly the notification "burst" texture. So, in this case, I also need to see if it is possible to only show my "glow" version when there is an unread notification, instead of the "up" version and the glowing animation that is also showing.

Here is a link to my addon if anyone is interested in tackling these issues:

Last edited by blakbird : 04/16/15 at 12:23 PM.
04/16/15, 10:48 PM   #2
circonian
1) I think what you are seeing are the child texture controls being displayed, not the "up" & "over" textures at the same time.
For example, mailButton has 2 children (texture controls) that also get displayed in certain states, like the glow gets displayed when you have mail..no clue what the burst is for. For example you have:
Lua Code:
  1. ZO_ChatWindowMail (which is: CHAT_SYSTEM.mailButton)
  2. -- Which has two child texture controls
  3. ZO_ChatWindowMailBurst
  4. ZO_ChatWindowMailGlow
The glow is not an "over" texture. The "over" texture just makes the mail button texture a little brighter. The "glow" texture is a separate texture that outlines the button texture with a glow.

The other controls your working on have the same thing:
Lua Code:
  1. ZO_ChatWindowNotifications  (which is: CHAT_SYSTEM.notificationsButton)
  2. -- has 3 child texture controls
  3. ZO_ChatWindowNotificationsEcho
  4. ZO_ChatWindowNotificationsGlow
  5. ZO_ChatWindowNotificationsBurst

The friends texture doesn't have any child texture controls.

If you don't want the glow just get rid of the glow texture on the glow texture control.

2) "So, in this case, I also need to see if it is possible to only show my "glow" version when there is an unread notification, instead of the "up" version and the glowing animation that is also showing."
Um, not without a lot of work...I don't think. The problem is the "up" texture is used when you have mail & when you don't. You can't just get rid of the "up" texture because then when they don't have mail there will be no button. You'd have to write code to figure out when the have mail & when they dont & change the texture accordingly.

Honestly I think it would be a lot easier to change your textures to match the way the game does it.
Create your textures for the: Up, pressed, over that the user will see when they have No mail (or notification).
Then create any glow, echo, burst effect textures that will be displayed WITH the main textures (for when they have mail & a notification) and set the Glow, Echo, Burst child texture controls to have those textures. If you don't want a glow you could just get rid of it or make it a transparent (blank) texture.
04/20/15, 04:09 PM   #3
blakbird

Thanks for replying. I had already done what you suggested as my first draft reskinning. I had only swapped out the "up" and "pressed" textures and the green unread mail texture. I just didn't think the glowing "over" textures fit with the flat style. I will just go back to that since it will be too difficult for me (and maybe not even possible) to get it to look how I want.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Chat window reskinning addon issues