04/24/14, 12:57 PM   #21
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ins View Post
In some areas we have 7 tool for 1 job now
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Or even having 50 addons for 1 job.

/edit: I mean... as long as you don't have them all installed at once.
04/24/14, 01:05 PM   #22
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Or even having 50 addons for 1 job.

/edit: I mean... as long as you don't have them all installed at once.
rofl.

Choice is always a good thing.
04/24/14, 04:06 PM   #23
stjobe

Originally Posted by Iyanga View Post
I prefer the Linux approach - one tool for one purpose.
Which is exactly why I made Stow It even though (at least) two other addons already included auto-sheath functionality - I wanted ONLY that functionality, not new reticule colours or an info bar, or what have you.

But then again, I used to earn my living as a Unix/Linux sysadmin...

Please note: There's nothing wrong with those other addons or even wanting all-in-one addons; it's just not for me. I'd rather have 50 addons running doing one thing each than 5 addons doing 10 things each.

And to each his or her own - especially if they can code

Last edited by stjobe : 04/24/14 at 04:06 PM. Reason: speelink is hard
04/24/14, 11:50 PM   #24
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
That was my thought exactly. People like different amount of salt on their food, too, and while you can have many different amounts of salt the same dish, some amounts you will not like.

I haven't even looked, but I probably am duplicating some efforts on the plugin I've written. But I decided to add some other stuff I wanted, and it's not in releasable state yet.

Originally Posted by stjobe View Post
Please note: There's nothing wrong with those other addons or even wanting all-in-one addons; it's just not for me. I'd rather have 50 addons running doing one thing each than 5 addons doing 10 things each.

And to each his or her own - especially if they can code
Aye, I like the minimalist approach, but it's not comparable to unix admin because most of those utilities were written at one time, and subsequent ones were modeled after that approach. ZOS hasn't really given us anything but the OS to work on. Not even a frikkin RFC from what I know. When apple puts out an OS, they include tomes and tomes of user interface documentation.

Is there any official ZOS source where they publish the API? How about their underlying lua code in game_0000, or are we going to have to keep reverse engineering it or finding a zip of it every patch? That gets old.

Last edited by Vuelhering : 04/24/14 at 11:55 PM.
04/25/14, 12:26 AM   #25
awesomebilly
You are more than welcome to use any code I have. Straight copy or not. Developing can be tough.. if someone else has done it... leverage that!

The more code we share in this community ... the better... and the more awesome our Addons will be.

If you have any questions for my code, please hit me up in mIRC @ ESOUIDEV.
04/25/14, 07:00 AM   #26
meaghs
this thread made my night... especially the linux one tool for one job idea...QT .. gtk.. alsa.. pulse..oss.. deb.. rpm.. tgz.. geesh... which distro was that? :P

In regard to looking at published source.. generally there is only one expected way to use the API. If you are learning or relearning looking at good published code that is well-documented is very helpful and using that to learn to make your own code is never a problem. If you want to use one of their functions or a portion of their code then you should contact the authors for permission. - M.
04/25/14, 03:43 PM   #27
ins
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
rofl.

Choice is always a good thing.
Personally I think it just spams the site when you have so many simple addons doing the same exact thing, a bit like how the mobile app market has 200 clones for everything. And I've even done it myself with a bank/bag related addon (done differently, but still being 40% similar), where I supposed a 'fork' would been a better way. I suppose that would be a nice implementation on the site. Let the first uploaded addon be considered "main" and then have the others grouped with it as 'forks' providing the same functionality with different 'flairs'.

Last edited by ins : 04/25/14 at 03:45 PM.
04/25/14, 03:55 PM   #28
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
(done differently, but still being 40% similar)
That means that your addon is 60% different. What if what I'm looking for is in that 60%?

To be a fork of the other addon would require that addon to have a license which allows that sort of thing. Now... If an addon *does* have such a license, then you could upload your different version to the "Other Files" tab on that addon's page if you're worried about "polluting" the site.

But we're not worried about the site being polluted.
04/25/14, 06:03 PM   #29
stjobe

Personally I think it just spams the site when you have so many simple addons doing the same exact thing'.
I don't think that's what people like me (the one-tool-per-job people) are talking about.

If there already was an addon that just allowed me to auto-sheath my weapons after combat, Stow It would never have been made. Why would I go to the trouble of making an addon if there already is one that does what I need?

The idea is for there to be many simple addons that do different things, not the same thing. These can later be combined into UI compilations, if need be.

However, if there's addon X that has feature F1 that I want but also feature F2, and addon Y that has feature F3 that I want but also feature F2, I now have two addons fighting among themselves about who gets to do feature F2.

In a game that's been around a few years you might have lots of addons all trying to do the same thing - although you downloaded them for the unique features they have, for some reason many addon authors also implement a lot of "unrelated" features. I'm not knocking that, to each his own, but it makes me wish addon X just did F1, addon Y just did F3, and that someone made addon Z that just did F2.

Then I could pick the addons that had the features I want and not worry about getting features I don't want or even addons that don't work well together because they're trying to do the same thing.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Question about code borrowing.