Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
09/25/20, 02:25 PM   #1
Dung0619
Question How do I navigate "outdated" mods?

I'm just starting out and looking at some addon lists, but a lot of them, even on lists made this year, don't have that magical 6.1.5 on them. So far I've learned that that doesn't mean the mod no longer works, just that it doesn't have the version number in its manifest; a lot of "outdated" mods work fine for people. I'm used to this in a number of games, in Rimworld for example it's VERY common that the only "update" a mod needs when a patch drops is changing the version string.

The question is which ones work, which ones have issues, which ones don't work at all, which ones are deprecated? Is someone keeping track or collecting reports somewhere? In Rimworld, the answer was almost always in the workshop page's comment section. But it seems comment pages on mods aren't used nearly as much here(I imagine that's because people interact through Minion instead of the website.)

For one example of a confusing addon, the Advanced Filters mod everyone recommends is outdated! But, there's an unofficial updated version! But, one of the libraries it depends on has a huge header in giant red capital letters screaming at you not to use it because it's incredibly broken! But it's one of the most downloaded addons. So which is it? Is it broken or not!? AND I read part of its functionality was added to the game, but it didn't say *which* part or what was still useful about it.

Another example I encountered is Inventory Grid View. Original mod is high on every recommend list but outdated. An unofficial update exists, but that's ALSO outdated. But the author posted an update... from dropbox in the comments instead of, you know, updating the version on the site. And THAT link was posted in April, so is THAT too old to work, too?

Is there any place to get a simple answer besides manually checking each mod myself one at a time? I'm also worried about false negatives- I install a mod, it doesn't seem to cause issues, but later after I've installed more mods it starts misbehaving and I don't know which mod or library the error is coming from...

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » How do I navigate "outdated" mods?