03/24/14, 02:49 PM   #1
oldbone
Restoration Staff - damage type?

What is the damage type? (Physical? Magical?)

Last edited by oldbone : 03/24/14 at 03:08 PM.
03/24/14, 04:03 PM   #2
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by oldbone View Post
What is the damage type? (Physical? Magical?)
Magical AFAIK, and it scales on Magicka. Same with Destro staff.
03/24/14, 04:40 PM   #3
oldbone
The basic attack damage actually scales on Stamina... but that's not what I'm asking. I'm curious what type of damage it is. Magic? Physical? Fire? etc..
03/24/14, 06:01 PM   #4
Vuelhering
The basic attack damage actually scales on Stamina... but that's not what I'm asking. I'm curious what type of damage it is. Magic? Physical? Fire? etc..
Seriously?

I thought it was simply "magic" damage, not physical/fire/frost/lightning/poison, but if it scales on stamina then I'm probably wrong on that, too. I'll try to find my reference, but I merely filed it into my brain at some point.
03/25/14, 05:43 PM   #5
Vuelhering
Okay, after some checking, I'm nearly positive the basic attack damage scales on magica and weapon damage.

[edit: And as nearly positive as I was, I was wrong. After some MORE checking, the basic attack scales on weapon damage and stamina, like you said! All the skills that use it scale on magicka. Oversight? Dunno.]

In the below video, destruction staff attacks are magical damage and act as spellcasts. (Making the assumption that staves attacks are similar) the basic attacks cannot sneak attack, and are mitigated by spell resist instead of armor, which makes me believe they must be magical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_OIx7bp7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOwZHb4sXY

edit: This last video is the one that talks about basic attacks. Wish I saw this first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUATvbFDUQ

Last edited by Vuelhering : 03/26/14 at 01:29 AM.
03/26/14, 05:19 AM   #6
oldbone
yup, crazy stuff... I just wish I knew the damage type of Resto staves. Is it Magical Damage?
03/28/14, 07:17 AM   #7
Zombie_Head

yup, crazy stuff... I just wish I knew the damage type of Resto staves. Is it Magical Damage?
When using a Restoration staff, the skills used are Magicka based.

When pointing the staff on an enemy and dealing direct damage, that is based on Weapon Damage (Stamina)

Same applies to the destruction staff, watch the video. The staffs consume magicka to cast spells/abilities/skills, but the actual damage of the staff (heavy or light attacks) are weapon damage (stamina) based.

Someone correct me if i am mistaken O.o
03/28/14, 11:24 AM   #8
oldbone
Yup, all that sounds right.

But, is the 'point-and-attack' damage of the staff Physical? Fire? Lightning? Magical? (I've never played, so not sure if Resto staves have a damage type listed on the weapon)
03/28/14, 11:43 AM   #9
Zombie_Head

Yup, all that sounds right.

But, is the 'point-and-attack' damage of the staff Physical? Fire? Lightning? Magical? (I've never played, so not sure if Resto staves have a damage type listed on the weapon)
Yes, it consumes no Magicka at all and its damage is based on weapon damage/Stamina.

Again, someone correct me if i understood the whole concept incorrectly.
03/28/14, 11:56 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
He's not asking how much damage it does or if it uses a resource. He's asking what KIND of damage it does.
03/29/14, 03:32 AM   #11
Zombie_Head

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
He's not asking how much damage it does or if it uses a resource. He's asking what KIND of damage it does.
I believed i covered that twice.
03/29/14, 10:55 AM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Not really, unless there's some miscommunication going on here.
03/29/14, 11:14 AM   #13
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
I believed i covered that twice.
I don't see it either.

Primarily, I believe the OP wants to know what resists it. I'm pretty sure it's spell resist, but that's still unconfirmed. With the destruction staff, it is confirmed to be spell resist even though it scales on weapon damage (specifically, magic damage of the type of staff -- fire/lighting/frost).
03/29/14, 12:44 PM   #14
Zombie_Head

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Not really, unless there's some miscommunication going on here.

Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
I don't see it either.

Primarily, I believe the OP wants to know what resists it. I'm pretty sure it's spell resist, but that's still unconfirmed. With the destruction staff, it is confirmed to be spell resist even though it scales on weapon damage (specifically, magic damage of the type of staff -- fire/lighting/frost).

When using a Restoration staff, the skills used are Magicka based.

When pointing the staff on an enemy and dealing direct damage, that is based on Weapon Damage (Stamina)

Same applies to the destruction staff, watch the video. The staffs consume magicka to cast spells/abilities/skills, but the actual damage of the staff (heavy or light attacks) are weapon damage (stamina) based.

Someone correct me if i am mistaken O.o
What type of damage do staffs do....covered.
03/29/14, 01:25 PM   #15
antique67

Smile

Good information from all. So I have to wonder ( in all attacks) if it is really worth having magic usage at all? Staying simply "Stamina" would give all attacks a better chance of critting w/o the "worry" of having to be regulated by Magic.
This then would direct one to care only for armor of the target if it's ranking were higher than the attack's Crit or DPS. Then too, I have to have my own armor to cover both Magic and Weapon damage from attacks on me. This being that the opponent will gear them selves by their lack of understanding the merits of not having a Magic attack to count on, as far as economics of the Stamina and Weapon Damage.

I draw this "Theory" from the film and the discussion above. Maximizing "Stamina" is far better in an attack than increasing "Magic" in an attack. It is Weapon Damage that kills. Magic need only to be used if one is waiting for a build up ( increase) in Stamina during a fight. Magic is only good in applying certain spells that one can use to buff an attack or buff a defense.

So if I need an AOE of shield, Magic is called to the front. But to eliminate the foe, Stamina is prevalent in doing so. Sorcerers beware! You need that stamina too!
Anywyas that's how tomorrow morning will open up form me in ESO's Grand Opening! <smile> Have fun ya'll!
03/29/14, 01:45 PM   #16
Vuelhering
What type of damage do staffs do....covered.
You merely state that it scales on stamina. We know that, but that's not the question.

Is it physical or magical damage? Nowhere did you answer that.

"Stamina-based" does not mean physical.

Look at this video just before 3 minutes. Destruction staves are mitigated by spell resist. That strongly implies they are magical damage, despite the weapon-damage being stamina based.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...wZHb4sXY#t=172

So, now, what type is restoration staff? Is it physical, or is it magical? And if it's magical, is there a particular element?

Originally Posted by antique67 View Post
I draw this "Theory" from the film and the discussion above. Maximizing "Stamina" is far better in an attack than increasing "Magic" in an attack. It is Weapon Damage that kills. Magic need only to be used if one is waiting for a build up ( increase) in Stamina during a fight. Magic is only good in applying certain spells that one can use to buff an attack or buff a defense.

So if I need an AOE of shield, Magic is called to the front. But to eliminate the foe, Stamina is prevalent in doing so. Sorcerers beware! You need that stamina too!
Anywyas that's how tomorrow morning will open up form me in ESO's Grand Opening! <smile> Have fun ya'll!
If someone empties a big tank of magicka on you, it's going to hurt a lot.

While weapon damage does kill, so do class skills, and there's certainly a crossover point of what to use based on your weapon.

It is interesting to consider that using light/heavy weapon attacks only, an archer can use a staff to far better effect than a mage.

Last edited by Vuelhering : 03/29/14 at 01:55 PM. Reason: edit: added second response

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Restoration Staff - damage type?