04/13/14, 10:23 AM   #1
Erys_Mordreyal
Server storage and chat

Hi all,

I'm trying to develop a small dice-rolling addon for our guild, and I've considered two ways to do it:

1) "/random X" puts out a number in say, party or guild that reflects their roll. I've tried implementing this, but it seems that the SendChatMessage function is not available for external use. Shame. Any idea if this will be released eventually? It seems limiting to prevent that, and more so to prevent local logging.

2) "/random X" stores a number somewhere on the server, which all clients poll for and receive a local list of numbers associated with character names. Less research done here - but after glancing all places I could think, I haven't found a place whereclients can store dynamic data and have other other clients poll for it.

I'd especially like advice on the server-storage side, because we'd like to be able to have a designated leader assign modifiers to players via character name.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Erys
04/13/14, 11:29 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah, nope. Addons sending chat messages is another thing removed in the API gut prior to launch. The addon could put the text into the chat frame's editbox for you to hit Enter and send to chat, but then there's no stopping someone from editing their roll value before sending to chat.

There's nothing for #2.
04/13/14, 01:48 PM   #3
Erys_Mordreyal
Damn... Well, thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if either of the above will come in the future? It seems sort of silly that they'd remove the chat message capability entirely, instead of limiting messages per second for security.
04/13/14, 10:02 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
No idea. I have no crystal ball.
04/16/14, 08:35 AM   #5
Vicster0

Yeah, this really is a shame. Addon messaging in WoW enabled some of the coolest functionality. Addons in ESO will certainly be gimped unless/until they add this to the API.
04/16/14, 10:02 AM   #6
BadVolt
Originally Posted by Vicster0 View Post
Yeah, this really is a shame. Addon messaging in WoW enabled some of the coolest functionality. Addons in ESO will certainly be gimped unless/until they add this to the API.
True story. At least we could use some kind of addon-channel, where all addons can send info.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Server storage and chat