02/04/15, 01:42 PM   #1
votan

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question New UI for LibAddonMenu r17 (update 1.6)?

If it is time for a new revision for update 1.6, it is may also time for a refresh of the UI?

Does someone like it?

It is just some change to the main file: Making borders invisible, changing base class of the buttons, a bit wider....
Shall I continue and send the source code changes to sirinsidiator or should I go away?
02/04/15, 03:55 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

I kinda like the idea to change the look a bit to mark the beginning of a new era.
Maybe change the background to the one seen in the skill menu behind the categories?

I was also thinking about introducing toggleable addon categories and a search box to bring some order into the list when there are many addons installed.

As this library is used in so many other addons, I appreciate all input and I will do my best to keep it up to date.
02/04/15, 04:11 PM   #3
Randactyl
Having categories that we could set for our addons like on ESOUI would be kind of neat, though it would be somewhat unnecessary if a user only has a few addons.

Kind of makes me wonder if our settings library would need a settings panel of its own XD
02/04/15, 04:14 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

That's what I meant with toggleable. I would put a checkbox or icon somewhere above the list so you can switch it on when you need it.
02/04/15, 04:59 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I like the idea of a customizable look of the settings library addon too.

Possible options could be:
-Show categories
-Show search field
-Change font size & look in the addons list (if you got plenty of installed addons the list gets very long and reducing the font size by 2points would show more addons on one page e.g.)
-Maybe templates to choose from (like plugins for libAddonMenu). This way Votan could build a look he likes and use it and others can download and use the same, or just stay with the original one.

Imo this all is nice to have and I even like the current version like it is.
As human beings are lazy I guess the seach box or categories would be cool features ;-)

btw @Votan:

I like your new layout very much! The borders always kind of disturbed me
02/04/15, 07:45 PM   #6
circonian
I actually like the borders, at least some kind of divider between the addon name list & the panel.

But if were making suggestions the one thing I would really like to see is the ability to register sub-panels. Something like when you click on an addon name the list updates & you get a list of sub panels for that addon under it, rather than being restricted to only using sub menus.

Something like this:

When setting something to full width, checkboxes for example, it would be nice if the ON/OFF aligned to the right of the panel to allow for longer descriptions, no since in wasting that space. If were marking the control for full width it should be full width, not 60% width, in my opinion.
02/04/15, 09:26 PM   #7
BornDownUnder
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I like the idea of a customizable look of the settings library addon too.

Possible options could be:
-Show categories
-Show search field
-Change font size & look in the addons list (if you got plenty of installed addons the list gets very long and reducing the font size by 2points would show more addons on one page e.g.)
-Maybe templates to choose from (like plugins for libAddonMenu). This way Votan could build a look he likes and use it and others can download and use the same, or just stay with the original one.

Imo this all is nice to have and I even like the current version like it is.
As human beings are lazy I guess the seach box or categories would be cool features ;-)

btw @Votan:

I like your new layout very much! The borders always kind of disturbed me
I really like the idea of options for categories & font size, could also see a search function doing wonders as it is a pita to be scrolling down repeatedly when trying out different settings for overall compatibility in a unique UI setup.

The template idea is simply brilliant, I often used others' UI design as a basis then tweaked initially when I started out customizing UI in WoW, many years ago now.

For me personally, the borders I like, though increasing transparency of them would be nice. Perhaps time for LAM to have customizable setting options of its own?
02/05/15, 12:38 AM   #8
votan

Thanks to all, for the kind words.

A divider: Yes, I tried to get the look of the lore library already. (Not a border, but a divider) But it was a bit late I think

Own settings: Yes.
Allowing to change some perferences would be good. Another example: Allowing to colorize the buttons or not.
The question is: like the chat window (with the gear) or as part of the left-side list (easier: all there)

A bit more space for text: Yes. Aspecially german can be awful long. But that is true for all controls. Maybe word wrap?

@Garkin: Templates. Wow. Sounds great, but also a bit beyond my current LUA skills. And a bigger change than pimping the look.

Let's do it! Step by step and see how far we come.

First changes: here

Last edited by votan : 02/05/15 at 12:58 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New UI for LibAddonMenu r17 (update 1.6)?